Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I *USED TO* be a fan of Wicked Good charcoal...

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have to say that while this was a poor response on her part, it wasn't sent to me and I will keep buying it. More for me I guess. No offense everybody, but I wouldn't expect my bad customer service experiences to drive everyone else's. 
    Dunedin, FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    With bleach

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731

For the record, I  liked WG charcoal , and have said so on the forum.

In the spirit of fairness here is the thread with the post that incited the response from WG. My post is somewhere in the middle of the first page (thanks for the reminder CT): http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152295/wicked-good-sold-out#latest

The email was most definitely real and copied verbatim except for the deletion of surnames and personal email adddresses.

My intent was not to make others change their charcoal preference. Please continue to shop at places like Ace since they carry alot of other products besides WG. Ace stores have a family/neighborhood hardware store feel which I do appreciate. There are many folks who conduct business civilly on the forum (@stlcharcoal would be a good example), and I guess it was worth noting that there are some who don't.

@henapple: I have been called hash before (as in h-ashish), but I've been called worse :) If you would ever come down to Houston with some OO, I would be done with such uselessness

As far as a$$-kissing is concerned, I'm not the type to entertain it. I'm not trying to scam a few bags of free charcoal from the company. If I do get any, it will be returned to sender, or left outside for anyone who wants it if the shipper won't take it back.

Having said that, if Wicked Good was the last/only charcoal available...

... I would make my own. I'm sure I can figure out how to.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @lewisj82: I heard that the Ace BGE dealer in The Woddlands carries Ozark Oak, but not at the "henapple special" price. henapple is special in that he has to be lubricated with a few PBR's for you to get your charcoal.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    caliking said:

And you would probably make a rolling cart to put it in :))
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Mickey said:
    @Travisstrick did you wash your hands good?
    I'd hose him down outside just to make sure.

Good thinking. Here at bob's used toyotas we do have a hose.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    caliking said:

For the record, I  liked WG charcoal , and have said so on the forum.

In the spirit of fairness here is the thread with the post that incited the response from WG. My post is somewhere in the middle of the first page (thanks for the reminder CT): http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152295/wicked-good-sold-out#latest

The email was most definitely real and copied verbatim except for the deletion of surnames and personal email adddresses.

My intent was not to make others change their charcoal preference. Please continue to shop at places like Ace since they carry alot of other products besides WG. Ace stores have a family/neighborhood hardware store feel which I do appreciate. There are many folks who conduct business civilly on the forum (@stlcharcoal would be a good example), and I guess it was worth noting that there are some who don't.

@henapple: I have been called hash before (as in h-ashish), but I've been called worse :) If you would ever come down to Houston with some OO, I would be done with such uselessness

As far as a$$-kissing is concerned, I'm not the type to entertain it. I'm not trying to scam a few bags of free charcoal from the company. If I do get any, it will be returned to sender, or left outside for anyone who wants it if the shipper won't take it back.

Having said that, if Wicked Good was the last/only charcoal available...

OH HELL NO!  NO HE DIDN'T!  WHAT A JERKSTORE!   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I bet Lee Ann's husband is this color right now :-&
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I thought you and @caliking were the same guy. @caliking being the nice one

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Lee Ann and Larry are the nicest people imagineable, having known them for probably 8 years or so.  No, Lee Ann won't post here as she doesn't have an ID and neither she nor Larry have ever posted on any forum.  Her words may have been ill-chosen, but I can imagine her frustration since I DO know how hard they have worked, and it probably is a bit galling to hear someone who doesn't know just flip off a comment like they don't care about their charcoal business any more. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • I just know it's hard to obtain as I would have to make a 100 mile round trip from Tampa just to get a bag, doesn't make sense and doesn't make sense it's not available in such a big market.
  • ... I would make my own. I'm sure I can figure out how to.
    Here's a way:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/makinglump.htm

I have no horse in this race, but I gotta say that WG's email strategy, generally, seems prickly and ill-considered.  The email Lee Anne sent to Old North State BBQ Co. might have been honest, but the first thing any customer service rep worth their salt would notice about it is that when a customer emails you about a problem, the very first thing you type should be something like:  

"Dear [Customer]; 

I'm so sorry that you had a negative experience with [product].  Here at [company], we strive for the best quality, and apologize for falling short in this instance."

THEN you explain.  When there's an explanation, but no apology, it's the company tacitly saying that they refuse to take any responsibility for their customers' bad experiences.

Just my two cents.  I'm an Egg and forum newbie, but I was a customer service professional for a long time, and I still work in a field where client relationships are key.  Lee Anne and Larry might be nice, but they need a customer service adviser.  

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Chubbs said:
    I bet Lee Ann's husband is this color right now :-&
    Oh ya. :))
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited May 2013
    Mickey said:

Have him go to the VA first. They should have a decontamination trailer out front.

Otherwise, get some lye. Better safe than sorry, @Mickey. You don't know where he has been.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

@Caliking, sorry brother. It is good charcoal but we are more than a bunch of eggers over here. I will exercise my solidarity with you and the rest of the gang.

No more WG. And that was the only one I used.

Off to wally to get some RO. And if @henapple would hurry up and travel east....  :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Aviator said:

@Caliking, sorry brother. It is good charcoal but we are more than a bunch of eggers over here. I will exercise my solidarity with you and the rest of the gang.

Off to wally to get some RO. And if @henapple would hurry up and travel east....  :D

I'll try to bring quantities back... Maybe a few of us could meet for a drink. Oh, who am I kidding... Drinks. Maybe @SmokeyPit will join us.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

henapple said:

I'll try to bring quantities back... Maybe a few of us could meet for a drink. Oh, who am I kidding... Drinks. Maybe @SmokeyPit will join us.
    Yes! and burn a stick. Will be in Smyrna all weekend for Military if you are in the area stop by. Ill wine and dine you for some Oo.
    :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Wow...glad I am happy with Royal Oak in my area.  Wicked Good is dead to me.   8-X
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

henapple said:

I am down!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Mickey said:

Have him go to the VA first. They should have a decontamination trailer out front.

Otherwise, get some lye. Better safe than sorry, @Mickey. You don't know where he has been.

That and all saw him NAKED :ar!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

"It doesn't matter if you like our charcoal or not."  Unbelievable!

Folks, the customer is always right, because the customer is right about where he/she will spend their money.  Never wrong about that!  

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @CharlieTN Right on. Customers hardly ever appreciate the details of your business, it is not their job to understand. Just like you said, you try and educate, explain your actions, but never tell the client they do not have a clue - even if it might be true. Again, its not what you say it's often how you say it.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935

I agree with @CharlieTN, my parents are small business owners of a small construction/remodeling company in Portland Oregon. They have owned their business for 35 years and the number one thing that kept them afloat during the roughest times in the recession is exactly what CharlieTN says, those loyal customers that because of how they were treated, talked to, and dealt with came back specifically to them. My parents stayed afloat (barely) when others went under. There have been many times where my dad would call me frustrated with a customer, but he always treated the customer with respect because he never knew when a referral would come for a huge kitchen job.

All that to say, I am not going to boycott Wicked's product (Though I will start to look at other brands). I hope the gal is regretting her decision, butt kissing anyone who needs to (an apology goes a long way), and fixing her approach to business as it will burn you in the long run.

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Why would a company turn its back on the 4th largest market in the country, in the center of the barbecue universe? @caliking, @travisstrick turned me on to HEB Central Market's brisket and I love it.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I think he ment lump. Central market lump from Heb is my fav at any price.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    hapster said:
    I wonder if Lurker Ann / Co-Owner will even have the stones to address her mistake here on this thread?
    How would this help their cause?   They could dispute what was said and it would be a he said she said....private emails to another person that they decided to post on an open forum don't make me boycott anything.  There are always 2 sides and the truth lands somewhere in the middle in most cases. 

I've dealt with WG customer service before and they were top shelf, I had a shipment of 3 bags arrive damaged from shipping and they quickly replaced the lump without me even asking.  I've been extremely happy with their lump and I think most others that use it are as well....I don't think they'll be changing their name to "wicked gone" as was posted in this thread.   Was the posted response great....no but I don't see anything abusive there either.   The "we don't care" portion was taken out of context...the whole sentence isn't giving the same message.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    WGWW was my go to fav. Lump! My attitude has totally changed now! I cannot believe that a business owner would e mail a customer what she did! I know that customers aren't always right , and attitudes can flare up but come on!!! That's un called for! No more for me!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE