Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size

Amazed!
Amazed! Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to one of my friends over the weekend, and got to see the green egg in action for the first time...AMAZED is all I can say.... I usually never cook for over 4 or 5 people so I was wondering which would be the best size grill to purchase. Thanks for any feedback..

Comments

• Amazed,
    Go with the large. It is tried and proven to be the best all around size. Trust me, go with the large. [p]Jerry

• Amazed,
    4-5 people. Get a medium for low and slow and a small if you can for high searing.[p]Mike

• Amazed,
    Most people like to start out with a Large. I thought I'd only be cooking for 4 most of the time, too, but now I end up cooking for most family get-togethers, and I've only had mine for 3 months![p]The Large is a very handy size, particularly if you're only getting one Egg. I've already decided, though, to buy a Small to go along with it. The Small is a lot more portable, and it will be handy to have two Eggs so I can cook at two different temperatures simultaneously.[p]Good luck!
    Mike

• Amazed,
    I have had the large for about 7 years and have very rarely needed more space. I think it is the most useful size, altho I am considering a second egg for simultaneous cooks. It is amazing how much stuff you can fit on there. Tonight I had 4 cornish hens, asparagus in a grill tray, and a makeshift aluminum foil boat holding extra stuffing, all cooking at the same time. (Thanks Dr. BBQ for the jam-glazed cornish hen recipe in your book).[p]Barbara

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Large is the way I went and am happy. My plan is in the future to go to a fest and pick up another large. (please don't tell my wife about this plan)
  • Hi Amazed,

I just "upgraded" yesterday from a gas Charbroil Patio Caddy with a 14" grill to a large BGE.

The Charbroil has served me well cooking burgers for up to 12-15 people at a time, so I have no doubt's that the large BE with its 18.25" grill will more than do the job.

I should be able to cook for over 20 now.

Enjoy!!

Chris
    Santa Clara, CA
    I am the co-founder of the San Francisco Bay Area Eggfest and I operate the Fred Tri-tip roast Facebook page for Schaub's Meat Market.
  • Amazed, Definitely the LGE is the most versatile...tho I bought the small soon after and have cooked on it on trips and ususally fire up the small for cooking only for the two of us as it does use less lump, and have added a raised second grill for doing two chickens, or meat and veggies on two levels. Use the two grills when cooking for larger groups, too. Go with the LGE first.