Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time, long time

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035

Been lurking since January when I dove headfirst into Egging, recently saw posts calling out us lurkers so figured it was time to engage.

First off, thanks for the great information on the board. It has made transitioning to the Egg quite painless. As background I am 40ish years old and been cooking and smoking meat all of my adult life, so I am no stranger to the lifestyle. Spent 4 years cooking professionally in kitchens and catering in Dallas in the late 90's while trying to figure life out after college.

I have the XL with all of the trimmings because we entertain all the time and I wanted plenty of room. Dealer warned me about charcoal usage in the XL and he was right, but when I want to easily cook 8 dozen wings I am glad I went all in. Besides, I am already eyeing a small/mini for weeknight cooks.

Best thing this forum did for me was introduce me to Dizzy Pig. I am an addict and see no reason to ever make my own rubs again.

Pizza and Pork are my passions, with wings always right there as a close 3rd.

Since I have read repeatedly on these pages that if there are no pics then it did not happen, here are a few: Forgive me if they are out of order as I am learning how this forum works.....

St. Louis style ribs, mock-turbo method

Pizza almost always is some variation on sausage, portobello mushrooms, caramelized onions, with a mozzarella-fontina-smoked gouda mix. Also popular is shrimp, panchetta, and sundried tomatos with similar cheese mix

I was inspired by a post on stuffed pork tenderloin to give that a go. Stuffed with herbed goat cheese, sundried tomatos, dried apricots, and dried cranberries. Yum.

Finally, family and friends cannot get enough of wings rubbed with Tsunami Spin cooked indirectly at 400 dome.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Glad to welcome you to our little cult. Look forward to your posts and pictures. Are you still in the Metroplex area?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Options
    mmm like to dig into your wings right about now!

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Good looking cooks TTC. Did you go to school in Big D?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Welcome to the party!

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Thanks for the welcome. I went to SMU from 92-96, although from 95-96 it is hard to truthfully say I "attended"......

Cooked at several different spots in Dallas from 95-99 and then left the business (it was a brutal lifestyle and wife and I were ready to start a family) and moved home to Nashville area in 2000.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Glad to have you. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    welcome. Out of the shadows and in to the light. Doesn't it feel nice?

Nice cooks.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    TTC said:

Thanks for the welcome. I went to SMU from 92-96, although from 95-96 it is hard to truthfully say I "attended"......

Cooked at several different spots in Dallas from 95-99 and then left the business (it was a brutal lifestyle and wife and I were ready to start a family) and moved home to Nashville area in 2000.

I graduated from SMU in '81. There are other's on this board. Welcome!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I'm lining up for the pizza. Yum!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Nice looking cooks!!!  Welcome - I live out by Page High School in Franklin, TN.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Cooks look great!  Gonna try the Tsunami Spin wings.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome.. I'm in murfreesboro. We'll have yo have a middle tn eggfest.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome! Nice looking cooks.

Ricky

Boerne, TX