Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Travis Method Brisket

Options
I asked one of the butchers at my local HEB if they had any Choice briskets in the cooler. The guy brought out a box of Meyer Choice briskets. My eyes lit up when he pulled out the smallest packer brisket I have ever seen - 4.5 lbs! I first thought it must have been a flat but, sure enough, it had a (point) deckle. Must not have been very large animal. So, I thought I would try to cook it in a manner that would keep it moist, etc. I was worried about it being too small...... Anyway, got it home and loaded my LBGE with Ozark Oak with some oak and pecan. Normally I use Wicked Good for my low and slow cooks but since this was a small brisket and I was going to set my Guru at 300*, it was not going to need all day to cook.

Seasoned with mustard and Texas BBQ Rub "Grand Champion"

Allegro Marinade (original), Shine Bock beer and chopped onion

Set DigiQue to 300* as per Travis's instruction for smaller briskets

Sliced final product

I put the brisket in fat side up. I think you get better bark with fat side down but.....very tasty and juicy brisket. The meat was done in 3 1/2 hours. Will do this again but with a larger brisket next time. 

Springram
Spring, Texas
LBGE and Mini

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    wow, never seen one that small for sure. Glad it worked out. My last brisket was a partial success. It was an odd cut. Point was thick and flat was thin... Good times.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Nice score on the small packer. When I ask our HEB for Choice brisket they look at me like I have a phallus growing out of my forehead. I would think in the brisket capitol of the world they would have some but I guess not. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.