Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egged Pork Spare Ribs...yum.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·

Comments

• Grader07Grader07 Posts: 132
    Wow Looks awesome yummy
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,280
    Did you trim those?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 195
    Looks great. What is the bright orange/reddish area?
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,196
    jccbone62 said:
    Looks great. What is the bright orange/reddish area?
    I guessing just sunlight based on the dome shadow and Smitty holding up the camera in the foreground.

Smitty,
    CWM style?
    ·
  • SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,321

Yeah the shadow effect caused the red highlight.  Yes, we trim our own spares.

We take a few things from brother Carwash....the oversized drip pan being the most important-IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • alyndalynd Posts: 97

Yeah the shadow effect caused the red highlight.  Yes, we trim our own spares.

We take a few things from brother Carwash....the oversized drip pan being the most important-IMO.

What's your reasoning for saying that?  Just curious.  Also, where do you find an oversized drip pan?
    ·
    edited May 2013

The oversized drip pan is simply a turkey roasting pan (with blunt ends).   This creates added protected (protected from intense heat) space in the large BGE.  The added protected space allows you to cook oversized loads without worry of heat exposure.  Carwash Mike used to use one of these and we quickly adopted it as well.

When you cook one single pork butt, the protected area created by the platesetter is enough, once you add a second pork butt you then have too much meat hanging in the heat zones....thus the oversized drip pan can add protection to allow both to cook indirectly with out heat exposure.  

We buy these disposable pans in the local grocery stores, the rounded ends don't fit as well as the blunt ends.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 565

Smitty,

Those look marvelous!  Do you ever flip them?  How do you get them so shiny and perfect-looking?

Z

·

Hello ZE,

We only go meat side down in the foiling process.  We tend to use Blues hog in our sauce mix as we also feel the varnishing characteristics are nice to the eye.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 203
    edited May 2013
    Looking good Smitty! Question for you: How do you get the uniformed coverage of the sauce like that? I'm assuming you are in the final stages of your cook in that pic?
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·

Applied carefully with a silicone brush.  The sauce will level out with some heat (we only heat for 5 minutes).  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 203
    Dam good job with that brush my friend. I often find that a brush produces some streaks that will normally even out with a little heat but sometimes doesn't. I know your a competition cook so I thought you might have a trick up your sleeve. I've seen some teams dip the meat side in a shallow pan filled with sauce in order to avoid the streaked look. The only question left is how did you score with them?
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·
  • freddyjfreddyj Posts: 126
    Wow!
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
    ·

We're still playing with a few things on our ribs.  We use 5 different layers of flavor on each slab throughout the cooking process.

These took 9th last week...we're getting close.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,383
    Those look great Smitty and thanks for all the pro tips ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • WylecyotWylecyot Posts: 99
    Smitty, do you start with a mustard base?
    ·