Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribs, Ribs, and more ribs

boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

I have posted several times about using pulled pork and brisket for other dishes.  Our house, always has bags of leftover meat in the freezer that we use for a variety of purposes.

The new thing for us is freezing the rib meat.   I love ribs, Mrs boatbum doesn't.   Its the messy finger oriented part of it that turns her off.

Recently, we have started cooking ribs, I get to eat what I want off the Egg.   Then take the leftovers - strip the meat off and use it on other dishes.

Cooked ribs over the weekend, 1 babyback salt and pepper only, 1 spare with Stubbs.    Ate what I wanted, then stripped off two 1 lb bags for the freezer.   Only 1 bag made it to the freezer, the next night did pizza with rib meat - was fabulous.    If you like the meat you get from a rib, think about this - imagine it in every bite of a piece of pizza.

Just a thought - passing it on.

Cookin in Texas
·

Comments

• jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 195
    Now that's an idea worth trying
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Even the "bone pictures" would help on this?
    ·
  • nice boatbum! That's a great idea

·
  • njlnjl Posts: 818
    I've put leftover pulled pork on pizza.  I don't see how meat stripped from ribs would be much different.  It is quite good as a topping.
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    njl said:
    I've put leftover pulled pork on pizza.  I don't see how meat stripped from ribs would be much different.  It is quite good as a topping.

Interesting, I never really realized this, until I started stripping rib meat off the bone to bag.   Much different texture, I think because the overall piece of meat is thinner maybe, absorbs flavors differently, maybe permeates all the way through.   The Salt and Pepper ribs - are very distinctly pork flavor with smoke.   When you bring in the rubs and the glazes - you get those flavors very distinctly.

Its almost like you have ultimate control of the flavoring wiht ribs.   This is fairly new to me, so based on limited observation - but - almost seems like the rib meet is leaner than pulled pork.

Anyway - would suggest its worth trying - see what you think.

Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,064
    Definitely worth trying.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·