Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baking Steel Maiden Voyage

Could have done pizza.  Could have done burgers like @Mighty_Quinn.  (They looked delicious!)  But we decided on........pancakes!

I started with the egg stabilized at 380 and poured some pancakes.

Not the results we wanted. 

So we jacked up the heat.

Much better!

How about that short stack? 

I wish they had some smoke to them, but I used some leftover lump that had some Jack Daniels chips from the previous cook so I was afraid to add more wood.  Oh well.  They were great flapjacks though.

Thanks for looking.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·

Comments

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    Pass the maple syrup and butter please !!!   Great looking pancakes, Fred !  =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,713
    Great. Now I regret not getting one. Looks good Fred.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 201
    Yea Fred! Love breakfast on the egg. Can I suggest French Toast as another option.
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,011
    Looks awesome Fred!!!

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,125
    edited May 2013
    Breakfast on the egg will be a staple once it gets too hot to run the kitchen clock's flattop in the mornings. Think my 16 inch drip pan will be enough if I decide to throw a couple slices of bacon on the steel? My steel is 13 inches so I could use it on the large or the medium.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,426
    Awesome breakfast! I'd hit it for sure. It seems from the threads so far that the steel works best at about 500°F or thereabouts.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,023

@Scottborasjr - It's simple physics.  As long as the 16 inch drip pan is centered under your 13 inch steel, gravity will do the rest!

@caliking - I agree that so far as I've seen from my cook and Mighty_Quinn's, the steel likes 500 deg.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • yumdingeryumdinger Posts: 183
    Agree with 500.  Burgers and Pizza so far
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Nice work Fred!! I know my Saturday morning plan now...
    ·
  • Firemedic183Firemedic183 Posts: 171
    Looks like you outdid my cinnamon rolls. Flapjacks are my next baking steel adventure!!
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I did steak quesadillas last night. 2 mins per side at 500 degrees.  they were awesome.
    ·
  • chris123stockchris123stock Posts: 664
    Breakfast, what more can you say. Those look great. 
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Mighty fine pancakes Freddie my boy! Throw some blueberries in them next time and send them my way.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 423
    Does anyone know if the round steels are available any longer? The website only shows rectangular
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,023
    Hibby said:
    Does anyone know if the round steels are available any longer? The website only shows rectangular
    They are special order with an extra fee.  They are working on making them available without making them a special order. 

·