Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Starting - Bottom vs. Top

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear Forum -
Seems to be two different schools of thought re: staring Egg fires.
One group favors starting the coals from the bottom, while the other favors starting from the top. My main interest is "low & slow" cooking, & I have my own thoughts on the matter, but so far have been only been able to conduct one test burn (with no meat on the grill, as I was on call for work), so I would be interested in what the Pros have to say. Test burn was done with improvised alum. foil top vent (4 pocket knife slits for vents - still waiting for back ordered dual function metal top). With bottom vent barely cracked, top started fire eventually stabilized around 240* dome temp - polder on grill shielded from direct heat (Weber grill sitting on fire bricks sitting on main grill) showed about 15/20* less at any given time. Suspect meat mass/moisture in Egg while have some effect on dome vs. grill temps. Anxious to cook a real meal, but I'm on call for the railroad & have to wait until I know the the phone isn't going to ring (which is almost never). Doing research & keeping an eye on the forum in the meantime - Thanx

Comments