Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First meal on the BGE

Options
Hi again.  After a particularly frustrating Memorial day weekend (on duty from Thurs-Tues, 12 hour rotating shifts), with plenty of time to watch all the BGE goodness being posted, I finally was able to fire up the egg today!!  Figured an easy cook was the way to go.  Spatchcocked a chicken before heading to work last night, rubbed it with some Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb Seasoning, left it covered with a paper towel in the fridge till this afternoon.  Today I took out the bird, added a light touch of Lawry's Seasoned Salt to the skin only. Lit the egg with 2 chunks of apple wood inside, brought it to 400 dome, let it stay there for 20-30 minutes or so.  Then I put the AR in, added a small handful of pecan chips.  10 minutes later, and again at 400 dome, I put the bird in.  After 20 minutes, I still was at only 340 dome so I opened the daisy wheel another 1/4 opening and it brought the temp right to 400.  Cooked for 65 minutes total on the top rack of the AR, she came off....Wow! Breast and thigh both were at 180 degrees Skin was crispy, white and dark meat were done perfectly.  Nice hint of smoke.  We have a winner!!! 

Comments