Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First meal on the BGE

Hi again.  After a particularly frustrating Memorial day weekend (on duty from Thurs-Tues, 12 hour rotating shifts), with plenty of time to watch all the BGE goodness being posted, I finally was able to fire up the egg today!!  Figured an easy cook was the way to go.  Spatchcocked a chicken before heading to work last night, rubbed it with some Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb Seasoning, left it covered with a paper towel in the fridge till this afternoon.  Today I took out the bird, added a light touch of Lawry's Seasoned Salt to the skin only. Lit the egg with 2 chunks of apple wood inside, brought it to 400 dome, let it stay there for 20-30 minutes or so.  Then I put the AR in, added a small handful of pecan chips.  10 minutes later, and again at 400 dome, I put the bird in.  After 20 minutes, I still was at only 340 dome so I opened the daisy wheel another 1/4 opening and it brought the temp right to 400.  Cooked for 65 minutes total on the top rack of the AR, she came off....Wow! Breast and thigh both were at 180 degrees Skin was crispy, white and dark meat were done perfectly.  Nice hint of smoke.  We have a winner!!! 

·

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Looks good -- got to be careful with smoke and chicken -- it can get overpowered!  Nice job on the bird.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,584
    Nice Spatchcock, we eat at least one of these a week now.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • MisterMMisterM Posts: 17
    Nice looking bird!
    Large Big Green Egg w/ AR & Spider
    Smokin' butts and taking names.
    ·
  • Firemedic183Firemedic183 Posts: 171
    Nice first cook! Welcome to the forum.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
    ·
  • gpsegggpsegg Posts: 306
    Great looking yardbird......the best.....welcome!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blue Ridge, Ga.
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Welcome !  You're on your way.   \:D/

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • MJGMJG Posts: 181
    That looks mint. I will be doing some this weekend.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
    ·
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 580
    Looks like you passed the initiation, welcome to the cult.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,202
    That looks tastey!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 384
    That was my first cook as well. I remember being completely blown away. Prepare to be amazed at the food you cook. Every. Single. Time. Welcome to the club!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • LTAFlynEggLTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    One down, countless more to go, enjoy each cook!
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,615
    Great cook, and you have the thighs to the rear where it is warmer, birds feet to the fire. Excellent. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,332
    I would eat that anytime

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Great-looking bird!  Pecan was a good choice, too - one of my faves for spatchcock.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·