Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey was right ! No stir fry on mini wok

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Mickey only fries shrimp on his mini wok and now I know why.

First, the story.
My wife is out of town, so I thought I'd do a stir fry on the mini for one person.  I had a beautiful orange bell pepper in the garden and also onions and garlic that were ready for harvest.

So, I thought I'd make a semi General Tso's Chicken.  I cut all of the ingredients and made the sauce.

I put the bell pepper on, and that's when I noticed that the temperature on the mini was not high enough to achieve wok hei.  The coals were red hot, but still, not the high heat required.

I did the onions, garlic, and ginger next.  Same thing.

Next, the chicken.  I thought it would never cook.

Finally, sauced and plated.  The dinner tasted good, but it wasn't top shelf.  I think I actually sauteed it, rather than stir fried it.  From now on, it's stir fry on the large.  The coals on the mini were red hot.  I just think it is not capable of the extremely high heat required to achieve wok hei.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Looks tasty. I wonder if the small Egg can get hot enough??
  • Village Idiot
    Lowflyer said:
    I've never cooked on a small, so I don't know.  I did stir fry on a Medium, and it did the job.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I've got the Hi Que grate in my small and it gets up to about 625-650... May have to try it out. I'm due for a wok cook.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited May 2013
    That 's weird. Did you let the wok heat up first? The mini should be able to get up to temp for stir fry. I know you obviously know what you are doing - just trying to help troubleshoot.

Does anyone know why the mini might not get hot enough?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    looks like the wok fits too tight cutting off the airflow.  Try putting some spacers between the wok and the edge...  Get'er hot and let'er rip...
  • Village Idiot
    onedbguru said:
    looks like the wok fits too tight cutting off the airflow.  Try putting some spacers between the wok and the edge...  Get'er hot and let'er rip...
    I was going to comment that to Caliking.  I did notice that the wok sat down on the coals, and seemed to cut off air, so I put the woo on it to raise it up, then let it get hot again.  It's possible I didn't give it enough time.

However, to fry shrimp, it only takes 350 or so degrees.  For a good stir fry, you're looking at 600+.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Interesting subject.  Glad to hear you've got the medium up to temp for stir fry.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Nice looking meal.  Don't have a mini YET but the small medium and large all wok well with 14" or 16 ". Gets plenty or air flow around the perimeter. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Lowflyer said:
    I augmented my Large with a Small two years ago, instead of a Mini, mainly to be able to wok. However, just a couple weeks ago someone posted a pic of them wokking on a Mini, and I was wondering if I'd made a mistake.
    Agree with a poster above, it does look like that wok is sitting too low in the Mini, cutting off airflow.  My cooks on my Small are (I believe) just fine, I have no complaints.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Gary in the very few stir fries and all the frying I use the High Que and Mini Woo. Also fill the Mini WAY up with lump. You have to have the Mini Woo to get air. Even doing that it takes time before the next deep fried shrimp is ready to go on at 375. My frying is for two and we eat as it cooks. Shrimp then oysters then shrimp, etc. this is a set back and relax cook that can't be rushed. Just don't do the stir fry but love the deep fry on the Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Gary that looks real good. Bet if you filled the hell out of the Mini with lump and used the Woo all would be good for you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    edited May 2013
    Mickey,

If you look at my pictures closely, you'll see that the first stage was the bell pepper, and it was without the woo.  The following ones were with the woo to raise it up.  As stated before, I might not have given it enough time to get up to temp after raising it.

Still, I have stir frying on the large down pat, so I'll return to that in the future.  I will use the mini wok in the future, just not for stir frying.  I think migas would be da bomb.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    The shrimp/oysters are very good, just a lot of time (be sure the temp is back up). Wish you would give the stir fry one more try with lots of heat. I can't tell you it works ( just not good enough stir fry cook). Still would like to know if workable. So I will keep on frying with it. Bet you are correct on the migas.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2013
    My wok looks like crap compared to yours.... Beautiful wok!
    I need to get to work and the reseason

I may not know true stir fry but I was under the impression I did it successfully on the mini.
    Seattle, WA
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

Never tried to stir fry on the mini but when I sauteed bacon and onions to make stuffed mushrooms, I remember that it took a while to get it cooking/temp up. So, might be true that stir fry is probably easier to do on large vs. mini. Either way, thank you VI and Mickey for sharing the experience and knowledge.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• The guys are right. Fill it up. My mini was up 700 this weekend. Don't be afraid to lift the wok up as you cook. More air, more heat.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

Gary, the first time I complained about lack of heat, Richard FL told me I had too much stuff in the mini wok.  He was right.  From then on I never had a problem with it being hot enough, and at least once, it was way too hot.  But I build the lump up high and get it going good.  I do not always use the Mini Woo when I want it hot.

Could just be a blocked grate.

Oh, I much prefer cooking on the large Egg and large wok, but I like the Mini Wok too.

Spring "Wok In The Hole Wok In The Hole" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• Village Idiot
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Rooster.  I'm very familiar with getting too much grub in the wok.  I think you'll see from the pics that that was not the case here.  However, I do think air blockage (either wok too low or blocked inflow) might have been the cause.  Also, "hot" is a relative word.  I like to stir fry with an extremely hot fire.

I'll give it another try soon.  Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Hmmm...interesting. I don't have enough info to add to this much. I've only used the wok on my mini once and going back to my post I had it at 450-500. Looks like I was drinking that night, so I'm not clear on the details. Now I feel like getting it back out and trying again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings