Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick pizza question..

I do a lot of pizzas, plate setter feet up, then grill on top and pizza stone on top of that.
Generally cook between 550 and 600. I let the stone warm up in the egg for about 30mins.
Problem is I can never get the crust crispy on the first pizza, but when I make 2, the second is perfect. Anybody have any tips how I can get this better??
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Maybe let the stone heat a few minutes longer?  I don't know.  It looks like you're doing everything right.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Maybe let the stone heat a few minutes longer?  I don't know.  It looks like you're doing everything right.
    +1   You are cooking the same as me, except i let the stone heat longer and i cook on a pizza pan directly on top of the stone.
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    Pretend you are cooking the first pizza. Do everything the same just don't actually is a pizza.
    Brilliant! I will even check my invisible pizza while it's cooikng to fool the Egg into thinking there is one there!! Man, I have so much to learn...
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    I raise the pizza stone up a bit with fire bricks and get a super crisp crust every time. More time to heat up too will probably help, as others mentioned
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    I raise the pizza stone up a bit with fire bricks and get a super crisp crust every time. More time to heat up too will probably help, as others mentioned
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    I have had great luck using cast iron skillet - plate setter legs down, feet on PS, deep dish stone (upside down) on feet and skillet on top of stone. 28 minutes @500

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

500 Posts: 3,177
    Cyclops42 said:
    I have had great luck using cast iron skillet - plate setter legs down, feet on PS, deep dish stone (upside down) on feet and skillet on top of stone. 28 minutes @500
    I thought you were talking about me when you did the"@500".  BTW, pizza looks good.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    These high temp bge gaskets any better on pizza cooks ,or will they fry too?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @CANMAN1976 - they will fry too, just not on the first pie. We do pizza at the gasket friendly 550 max. It is a relationship of crust moisture, topping quantity and temp - takes a few to get it right. 
    @pirates21 - if the first topping cooks/browns, but the crust is not done, the stone is not hot enough. As you note, the second is good, the stone has heated - the dome hasn't changed. 
    If you reduce the amount of topping, I bet the crust on the first will be great. On the second the crust will overcook (burn) while the toppings will be undercooked. The solution here is to wipe the stone with a damp cloth between pies, this cools the stone to avoid overcooking the second pie. 
    If you leave your pies alone, same toppings, let the stone heat for 10 to 15 minutes more - like cooking the invisible pizza. If the first crust comes out good, wipe the stone before the second or it might overcook. Good Luck. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pirates21
    @CANMAN1976 - they will fry too, just not on the first pie. We do pizza at the gasket friendly 550 max. It is a relationship of crust moisture, topping quantity and temp - takes a few to get it right. 
    @pirates21 - if the first topping cooks/browns, but the crust is not done, the stone is not hot enough. As you note, the second is good, the stone has heated - the dome hasn't changed. 
    If you reduce the amount of topping, I bet the crust on the first will be great. On the second the crust will overcook (burn) while the toppings will be undercooked. The solution here is to wipe the stone with a damp cloth between pies, this cools the stone to avoid overcooking the second pie. 
    If you leave your pies alone, same toppings, let the stone heat for 10 to 15 minutes more - like cooking the invisible pizza. If the first crust comes out good, wipe the stone before the second or it might overcook. Good Luck. 

Thanks so much. Good advice. Still looking forward to eating the invisible pizza though..
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    I hear its the "PERFECT" pizza for those watching their waistline.

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    pirates21 said:

Thanks so much. Good advice. Still looking forward to eating the invisible pizza though..

You can tell some people will fit right in here eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canary
    Canary Posts: 37

Try putting on just the crust. Pull it off after a couple minutes, load it up and put it back on.

This is how we do ours. We buy Trader Joe's pizza dough, cut each ball in half, roll it out super thin, give it one minute on the egg on parchment paper, bring it out, load it up and back on. Perfect thin crust pizza every time. And it can handle lots of toppings.

I did 8 of these last week. The last one started to stick on the stone. Not sure why. Probably residue.

If Canary can do it you can too!
  • Canary
    Canary Posts: 37

Try putting on just the crust. Pull it off after a couple minutes, load it up and put it back on.

This is how we do ours. We buy Trader Joe's pizza dough, cut each ball in half, roll it out super thin, give it one minute on the egg on parchment paper, bring it out, load it up and back on. Perfect thin crust pizza every time. And it can handle lots of toppings.

I did 8 of these last week. The last one started to stick on the stone. Not sure why. Probably residue.

If Canary can do it you can too!
  • DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    Now I am by no means a pizza expert, but my setup is a little different than most on this thread.  On my plate setter I do legs down and pizza stone on top of it.  The pizzas turn out fine, but I was wondering if there was some glaring reason why the legs should be up with the grill and pizza stone on top?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Now I am by no means a pizza expert, but my setup is a little different than most on this thread.  On my plate setter I do legs down and pizza stone on top of it.  The pizzas turn out fine, but I was wondering if there was some glaring reason why the legs should be up with the grill and pizza stone on top?
    @DenaSmoker, apparently it can prolong gasket life and provides an air gap.

Where are you located?
  • Mowgli
    Mowgli Posts: 34
    If you make 3-5 pizzas with legs down on the platesetter, and the stone on top, then (it's my own experince) the stone will get too hot, and burn the pizza.
    When the legs are down, the pizza stone will get extreamly hot,because of the direct heat.
    When legs are up, the platesetter will shield the stone from direct heat.

I have made a lot of pizzas and always legs up - and never burned a pizza.

It's only my own theory 8-) 
  • DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    @DenaSmoker, apparently it can prolong gasket life and provides an air gap.

Where are you located?
    Thanks for the responses.  @Eggcelsior I am in Pasadena, MD
  • pirates21
    Well, I waited a bit longer, cooked invisible pizza, and the "second" one (which was actually the first) turned out great! Thanks for all the help!
  • I get a head start on the stone by heating it in the oven on 500 while the egg heats up.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller