Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VERY OT: Atlanta

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
Will be in Atlanta early Aug for Toyota meeting. Thinking of coming in 3/4 days early. Question: never been to the Smoky Mountains or do anything except drive thru Atlanta. Smokes look to be 150/200 miles out (where to go) and googled Atlanta and Buckhead poped up. Looking for ideas. We are not club types. Thanks
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Visit the Mothership, I'll PM you my number, call me
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    The Cyclorama is awesome if you are a Civil War buff like ne.
    We spent a whole day at the aquarium and its incredible.
    And loved the laser show at Stone Mountain.
    http://www.atlantacyclorama.org/

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @Mickey Toyota dealer meeting ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I would second the Aquarium and Stone Mountain's laser show (once is all you will need to see it but it is unique).  Zoo is pretty big and cool too if you are into that.

CNN Center and tour is neat.

You should also try and see a Braves game while you are in town...if you like baseball that is.

Might also check out Lake Lanier and things to do there.  I know you can rent boats and stuff but they have zip lining too.

Some really great restaurants as well.  If you tell me what you like and a $ amount then I can help you out with a few. 

Just a few ideas.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    There's lots to see and do in Atlanta - especially food-wise. Lots of great restaurants. Traffic is HORRID though.
    Opelika, AL
  • Mickey
    bigphil said:
    @Mickey Toyota dealer meeting ?

Yes. National Meeting
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Ha we should plan a "mini" get together.

Mickey there's lots to do around here and also within a 2 hour or 4 hour drive.
    2 hours - you have Chattanooga, TN, Greenveille, SC, Birmingham, AL, Hiawassee, GA
    4 hours you have Savannah, GA, Asheville, NC
    I've only driven through the Smokey's and I'm sure there are great places to stay.
    Atlanta has the Aquarium, Coke World, Stone Mountain, 6 Flags, Zoo,Sweetwater Brewery offers tours Wed - Sat and a few others around town too.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    If you make it to Greenville SC give me a shout.  I will buy you a beers or twos.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    +3 or 4 on the aquarium, if you like outdoors Stone Mountain is cool, you can walk/hike to the top. We have great golf courses and lake lanier is a great day you can rent a pontoon or speed boat if you like. The restaurants are fantastic. What part of Atlanta will you be in and how long?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think the Smokies are technically only along the TN and NC border.  In GA you have the Blue Ridge Mountains...but both are part of the Appalachian Mountains. There is some beautiful country as you head up that way. 

You could check out Amicalola Falls:

Here is some more information on blue ridge, including the city:
    If you were interested in getting a cabin or something like that for a night or two this would be a great spot. 

Some of our friends just did this canopy tour thing and said it was a blast:

This is all pretty far from Atlanta. If you are looking for things to do locally, there are upscale restaurants in Buckhead.  Here is a quick list:
    I have dined at several of the places and they are all good but definitely pricey.  If you are on the company expense account might be worth checking one of them out ;)

I like the Virginia Highlands area:
    It is pretty low key and a nice place to walk around and do a little shopping and bar hopping.  

As others stated the Aquarium is cool.  It is right across from Centennial Olympic Park which is a nice place to walk around.  There is a burger joint in the park that is good:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    JRWhitee said:
    +3 or 4 on the aquarium, if you like outdoors Stone Mountain is cool, you can walk/hike to the top. We have great golf courses and lake lanier is a great day you can rent a pontoon or speed boat if you like. The restaurants are fantastic. What part of Atlanta will you be in and how long?

Have not seen word of which hotel or where yet.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    If you want to get as far away (don't know how far) from your base of operations as Asheville, NC, as mentioned by Hic, that will get you to the Biltmore Estate.  Good for a full day.  Check it out on Google, it is mind-bending! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    I highly suggest both Stone Mountain and Amicalola Falls. The falls is the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. Another thing that I would suggest is floating the river in Helen Ga. It is a beautiful drive and Helen's entire architecture is German themed. A ton of fun. I hope you have a great trip.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • JRWhitee
    edited May 2013
    Helen is a cool town, if you head up there the corned beef at the International Cafe is fantastic it is on the river. Amicalola Falls is fun both are about 1.5 hours north of the city. If you see Ned Beatty run... =))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Mickey....we have a cabin in Blue Ridge about 1.5 hours north of Atlanta. We will be up there at that time...would love to buy you a drink as thanks for that wonderful rub we use.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Drive up to Hiawassee and go thru Helens on the way up.  In Helen stop and eat at the German restaurant the grist mill and go t'que shopping.  That area of the Smokies is beautiful.  If Georgia didn't have Atlanta and a state income tax we  would not have come home.   
    We have seen, biked, walked most all the Appalachian and some of the Smokies, but this is the prettiest are by far.  
    If you drive come into Hiawassee via Chattanooga rater than Atlanta
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Go to Hal's for a steak while in town.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    I was just there.  Enjoy the traffic.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • JRWhitee
    edited May 2013
    +1 on Hal's

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Def. visit Stone Mountain! It's just east of downtown and watch the laser show. On the way to Stone Mountain stop by Fox Brothers BBQ.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    This is a few miles down I-75 in Macon!

http://www.thebighousemuseum.com/home/
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    After you're done with all these cultured ideas... Go to the Varsity. Landmark drive-up.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I am new to ATL but from what I have done vortex for a burger is a must. Stone mountain is cool and you can see why the next eggtober fest will rock, mother ship is cool, probably hit up a couple eggers in the area there's lots around. Check to see if there's any good shows at the fox that's a cool place.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    henapple said:
    After you're done with all these cultured ideas... Go to the Varsity. Landmark drive-up.

+1 

henapple and I are the silt on the bottom of the culture pond

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NEWB_IN_NOLA
    NEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 135
    If you are going to do a burger, go for a ghetto burger or go to Holeman and Finch. Offals at Holeman & Finch are pretty good too. Chef Liu's on Buford Highway has really good shanghai steamed buns. Many other awesome places on Buford Highway. I like Williamson Bros BBQ in Marietta. Otherwise there are a whole lot of Chili's, Applebee's and Olive Garden's.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Mickey
    edited May 2013
    @Foghorn and @henapple I would have to raise 5 social levels to set only one level below you guys culture pool =)) And after all the shows about that place need to make it. The last four years have been at "theHOTEL" in Vegas and sure will not be at a Dump.

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @Mickey - get on vividseats.com and get cheap braves tickets.  We are going to a game in a few weeks when I go to SC to visit family.

Also the kids loved the CocaCola museum when we went to ATL three summers ago.  The best are the tasting rooms you can have sodas from all over the world.  

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Surprised no one mentioned Callaway Garderns...  70 miles from Atlanta and beautiful area.

http://www.callawaygardens.com/things-to-do
    Pentwater, MI