Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger with a couple of questions

Options

Hi Everyone.  This is going to sound like a familiar story here on the forum, but here goes anyway.  I’ve been lurking here for a couple of years now and feeling the itch to get my own Big Green Egg but the practical side of me has always held me off saying that I’ve already got a grill and can I really justify stroking a check for that amount of money to get one.  You know the story. 

Imagine my surprise when I came home from work last Thursday to find my wife and kids in the kitchen with big grins on their faces and a brand new Large Big Green Egg with a big bow sitting on the deck!  What a great early Father’s Day + Birthday present!  I guess my hint's haven't gone unheard.  Unfortunately I’ve been out of town and only had the chance to do some chicken so far, but I’m going to plank some salmon tonight.  Can’t wait!

Anyway, on to the questions….  First, a friend of mine gave me a 10 pound bag of pecans in the shells from his farm and as we have been shucking them I’ve been tossing the shells in the trash.  I know that pecan wood is a popular choice for smoking, but can the pecan shells be used too?  If so, I’ll be sure to keep them.  Secondly, is it easier to fine tune the temperature by adjusting the bottom vent and keeping the daisy wheel the same or should I adjust the top damper and keep the bottom slide constant or use a combination of the two?

Thanks for the help!  I hope that I can pass on some sage advice to the new guys at some point down the road.

Franklin, TN
Large BGE+PSWoo2

Comments

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I can't answer the shell question, I've never tried it.
    As far adjusting goes - generally speaking for big adjustments 50+ degress use the bottom vent, and for small adjustments use the daisy wheel. Enjoy your new BGE.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    I'd use the shells for a test.  I do not see why they wouldn't work other than they may contain more oils than the Pecan wood.  

Congrats on the Egg ......... (and awesome family)
  • LakeSeminoleEgger
    Options
    There is an old post called "Vent Settings, a Visual Guide" that you might find helpful.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • cbruce
    cbruce Posts: 19
    Options
    I have a pecan tree and have tried using the shells for smoke before. The smoke was way too thick and they burned off quickly. by the time the smoke calms down the pecans are burnt out. 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Not sure about the shells but maybe just a thought here. I know nuts have oil in them so maybe the shell might too. If that is the case might not be a good idea. As far as the vent and daisy wheel go. I normally get a good fire going then close the botom to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch (pizza open more). The daisy wheel depends on the cook. Low and slow DW closed and 1/2 open on the holes. For higher temp I have holes open and DW 1/2 to 1/4 inch open. There are things like wind and out side conditions that will have an effect but you will firgure it out as you go. There is a learning curve. Just pay close attention to how it reacts to what you do.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Wow, talk about a guy who's wife and kids really love him!

Now you just have to justify it with great cooks.  Welcome to the forum, it is a fabulous learning place for Eggers of all levels of eggsperience!

:-j
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon