Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egghead "Crutch"

_BR_
_BR_ Posts: 42
I want to thank everyone on this forum.  I finally got my first BGE (an XL) last weekend, 05/19/13 and jumped right in with low & slow BB ribs for my first cook.
imageimage

My second cook was this Memorial Day weekend in which I decided to attempt and overnighter with two 7.5 lbs pork butt's for our family get together on Sunday.  This is were the anxiety started creeping in. From "lurking" on this website for the last 6 months, all of your posts, comments and input allowed me to quell the anxiety and fear of failure and go kick butt. I prepped butt's with mustard and Bad Byrons Butt Rubb about 5 hrs before cooking, stabilized egg @ 250 F and had butt's on by 10:30 pm. Went to bed @ 2am, and woke up every 2 hours to check temp (no pit controller). I did make very minuscule adjustments which were probably not necessary but I was taking no chances. Dome temp was around 225 at 6am and meat was in the stall (what would the eggheads say?) don't panic.  all in all I was able to pull butt's off at @ 3:30 pm (17 hrs), FTC one for 2 hrs, and the other for 4 hrs. Lightly sauced with Stubb's original and served with homemade coleslaw, corn and other goodies.

imageimageimage

This was a very successful attempt, lots of compliments from all of the attendees (they were swarming my house the next day for leftovers). Also thanks to the forums "what to do with leftover pulled pork" we made some of the best tacos I have ever had (avocado, onion, cilantro, colby jack cheese and green sauce).
imageimage

Promise to work on "plating" in the future  :)

Btw, can't believe how much BGE brand lump was left. Unbelievable!

imageimage

Again, THANK YOU ALL!

Comments