Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Cube Prices

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I bought my BGE going on two months ago, I also got a package of fire cubes - 12 to a stick, 3 sticks in the package. Price was $10.95. This is about .30 cents per cube.[p]I'm running out. So I go to my local ACE Hardware. They sell Weber grills (sorry to mention that name here). Yep. ACE had the cubes. Exactly the same as I got from the BGE dealer except in an ACE box. Only the ACE price was $3.95 for 3 sticks of 12. That's about 10 cents a cube. WOW. I bought 4 packages. That will last me a year![p]Anyone interested the order number is: ACE 84028.[p]Now don't anyone come back here and spoil this tight-wad's day by telling me they got them for a nickle a cube at Walmart. [p]Anthony

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Anthony Up North,[p]Nice find! I use Weber cubes to light my Egg. I was using newspaper for a long time since I figured my cost with using newspaper was zero since I subscribe to the paper anyway to read and since I'd never be without it since my subscription is daily and I'm lazy in throwing away newspapers for a few days. The cubes are pretty cheap, though, and are available at enough places that I normally go to every so often and are so darn convenient that once I tried em, I never went back.[p]Good job on finding the good deal!
    Cornfed

• Cornfed,
    I tried paper a few times but could never get it to work. I twisted the sheets into a braid... Nothing. I crushed up single sheets, nothing.... Maybe its the paper I have... it may be politically correct and not want to cause ash. Do you think????[p]Back to cubes. Now for a dime I think what the heck... splurge... be luxurious.[p]Actually though I like the cubes better because they are cleaner.[p]Enjoy your week-end in New Jersey! Which reminds me of a NJ story. (True I guess)
    It seems a commuter from NYork to NJersey had a bumper sticker that read: "I'm glad I live in New York so I can vote against Hillary." On one comute to NJ this NY driver was pullued over by a NJ highway patrol, who it seems are very tough on NYork drivers. He pulled the gal over and said while laughing very hard "I really should give you a ticket madaam, but that is the funniest bumper sticker I have seen." So he gave her only a warning slip[p]Anthony[p].

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    firestarters.jpg
    <p />Anthony Up North:[p]Regarding fire starters, these parafin and sawdust fireplace starters were inexpensive and it only takes a half inch plug lit and nestled in your lump to start a fire. Cannot remember how much they were, but I am almost out after a year and a half and many, many cooks . . .

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Anthony Up North, I get Weber Firestarter cubes in packages of 24 at Lowes (stock number 94724) for 1.94 - about 8 cents per cube.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    djm5x9,
    Yep, those are great! Used them both. You really only need a very small piece to get a good fire goin. I sometimes buy the small starter logs for 33 cents, and it gives me about 35 starts (less than a penny each). Just sawdust and parafin like you said.[p]Your picture will help a lot of people. Walmart has the Rutland starters. I remember about $1 pack of 24 (like your picture). Which actually means 72, cuz you only need a third of one cube to start your fire.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Anthony Up North,
    With all due respect to you fire cubes...i'll stick with my little Mapp gas torch. Push button...fire...hold for 5 seconds...let go button...close lid. Hot fire in 10 min. Cost was $8.95 two years ago, same bottle of mapp gas, many lites in egg, several plumbing projects, couple of bonfires etc. etc. etc. PS Also very effective at de-winging agressive flies hanging around trying to get a taste of BBQ.