Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Been mulling...

Options

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I wouldn't want to limit ourselves to one cut, so the generic "BBQ Boobs" would get my vote.
    Flint, Michigan
  • erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Options
    This group is amazing in many ways...keep me informed. I'm willing to join in. 
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    I am in.  Not sure about the idea of someone here managing that amount of money though.  While I would like to think everyone is trustworthy, that kind of money is too tempting.  Something would need to be done to ensure the safety of everyone's donations and that they were properly accounted for and distributed.

My $.02
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    r270ba said:
    I am in.  Not sure about the idea of someone here managing that amount of money though.  
    I am 100% trustworthy.  Just write your checks to "Willson Aruba Vacation Fund" and I'll see to it that it is totally used for it's intended purpose.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I would reach our to my kid's organization and try to set up a way where we can donate personally but with a tag that it be noted that it's part of our group and ask them to give us a total for what we gave. Totally private, tax deductible but with a community effort. Probably have a month in that quarter to push for donations... And I will push.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options

r270ba said:

I am in.  Not sure about the idea of someone here managing that amount of money though.  

I am 100% trustworthy.  Just write your checks to "Willson Aruba Vacation Fund" and I'll see to it that it is totally used for it's intended purpose.

I like the fact your take checks from total strangers and not demand cash . Now that's trusting . What's your address I'll send a check for a mill this afternoon
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • r270ba
    Options
    And the thread derailment is starting… =))
    Anderson, SC

• chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
    This is a great idea, personally I think all the ideas are good, being ex military, and spending weeks and weeks at seattle childrens hospital watching my own son in liver failure,  and all the rest of the children in there. That brings a soft spot in my heart. And cancer, I dont know anyone that doesnt know someone who that has affected in some way. Just thinking that we do have members in other countries with the same things going on. Is there a way to support other countries? no one left behind as I was taught.  Just my 2 cents.
  • henapple
    Options
    Focus vi, focus.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    r270ba said:
    I am in.  Not sure about the idea of someone here managing that amount of money though.  While I would like to think everyone is trustworthy, that kind of money is too tempting.  Something would need to be done to ensure the safety of everyone's donations and that they were properly accounted for and distributed.

My $.02
    We would have to register as a non-profit for tax purposes. Since money would be ear-marked for the non-profit, it would be illegal to divert money. We would have to start a charter for this. It can be informal but if we want to do something like a Eggfest this would require the non-profit status before any company will give us money. I personally have no issue with it. 
  • bigphil
    Options
    Ex milatay , cancer , kids all have my vote
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • r270ba
    Options
    bigphil said:

I think we have to throw something in there about hunger… We are all foodies here after all.
    Anderson, SC

• bigphil
    edited May 2013
    Options
    r270ba said:

bigphil said:

I think we have to throw something in there about hunger… We are all foodies here after all.
    Agreed!!!! I think it's Saint Jude's childrens hospital that is strictly funded with donations . No one pays I could be wrong
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm in, sounds like a great idea..
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    My experience is real estate appraisal and property tax. Income tax with all that's related to it mystifies me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @bigphil

You are completely right. No one at St. Jude's pays for any of the best care for childhood diseases in the world if they are unable. Danny Thomas was a great person.
  • bigphil
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Maybe it's time for a thread of charities and we pick the top 3 or 4 and as a group donate quarterly ?
  • henapple
    Options
    See my previous comment... Good night y'all.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    henapple said:
    Focus vi, focus.
    OK, but who is "us"?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/Default.aspx?tsid=66&campaignSource=CDRO&source=B100127

My favorite charity, but anything that you guys want to donate to is going to be a great cause.

I'm in, as long as it is NOT Wounded Warriors we're are giving to.

Used to be my favorite too......until I found out their political agenda and looked at their financials.  Bunch of anti-gun, anti-religious hypocrites that turn away free money from donors left and right.

They're doing a major disservice to the ones they support by refusing funds because of their political views.   They refuse all funds from churches, religious organizations, and gun/ammo companies.  Millions $$ lost.  WTF?????

Here's a much better charity that doesn't judge its donors, and gives a much higher percentage of funds to its recipients.  68 out of 70, 5-stars on CharityNavigator.org (WWP only got a 53% and 3-stars.):

Special Operations Warrior Foundation 

http://www.specialops.org/ 

Much better transparency at this one....

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2013
    Options

Did not want to say anything if I had nothing good to say.

Have been deployed twice in the Army as a combat surgeon and in support of the Army Wounded Program, returned in January this year.(have had more deployments to play in the sand as well) Army does not get a dime. The soldier does not get squat from them. The Army program is the AW2 and comes off the DOD budget.

Most charitable "orgs" use up almost all of the monies donated and a small insignificant portion goes to the intended place, so they can use the whole as tax free.

Charity begins at home. Take your cooked food to LOCAL places where they feed homeless, and whoever. Donate a weekend to work in the soup kitchen, etc.

Its easy to donate money and "write it off". You ought to "donate" your time and manual labor being there. I know a lot of folks here are involved in the church and other wonderful org as well. There are real missions going to Peru and Brazil and Honduras and Haiti to do medical stuff. Docs and support staff take their vacation time to go as a team and help.

Sorry, had to get it off my chest.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I don't think it's too hard to register something on paypal.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @Eggcelsior:  I can look into the process for registering as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, if the group thinks we ought to go in that direction.  

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I'm in and I love the Honor Flight idea for one of the donations.

Hard to keep a dry eye when you watch this!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    I'm in!
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Maybe the mother ship will match our donation.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• henapple
    Options
    This is my final thought. I can't reiterate enough that I think we need to be collecting money to donate as a group. Merely personal donations with a possible subheading giving a reference to the group. We would not share how much or if we gave but would request tht If a leadership team investigates charities and presents one they feel is forthright members can choose to be involved or not.
    A 501c3 is an expensive and labouris affair.
    Aviator, I understand your view and agree. I've led groups that have adopted firehouses to serve, deployed soldier's families, single father's, mothers, etc... I'm hoping that everyone is involved somehow in their communities.
    I guess I felt this may be something we could do as a group. A chance not only to help folks but a chance to get to work together.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Wow, lotsa good ideas, please let me know the consensus...and count me in ( 1 or 4 / year ).
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    In this venture, I'm just a monkey. Tell me where to swipe or where to mail a check.

I'm not really tied to any charities, so I'm open to many options. My only request is that we donate money to charities that actually are charitable.

Isn't there a BBQ charity and/or relief that I've read about? That's the type of effort that I'd love to participate in one day though.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    cazzy said:

Isn't there a BBQ charity and/or relief that I've read about? That's the type of effort that I'd love to participate in one day though.

Perhaps you're thinking of Operation BBQ Relief (http://www.operationbbqrelief.org/)?

They've been really busy serving BBQ to Oklahoma tornado victims & first responders lately.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA