Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KitchenAid mixer

Options
bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited May 2013 in EGG Table Forum
We have had our kitchen-aid for sometime now and tonight we just tried it for shredding mozzarella cheese previously we used our food processor which did more clumping of the cheese than shredding .The kitchen-aid didn't even flinch doing its job and the cheese shredded perfectly just as good as pre-shredded from the store .funny thing is we had the attachment forever and forgot about it till we came a crossed it over the weekend . needless to say the food processor is going out the door now ,
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Don't toss the food processor, they do some jobs better than a mixer, or a blender; they all have their uses.  
    Funny, I have all three, all KitchenAids, and I still use a box grater when it comes to mozz...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bigphil
    Options
    @Botch the mixer shredded a 5 pound block in minutes where as the food processor took for ever over heated and had to let it cool plus the attachments will do all that the processor does at least for us 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hmm, I guess I don't just need to get the meat grinder attachment. :-?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bigphil
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Hmm, I guess I don't just need to get the meat grinder attachment. :-?
    we have that as well and it works great works best if the meat is frozen for 10 to 15 minutes first 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    bigphil said:
    @Botch the mixer shredded a 5 pound block in minutes where as the food processor took for ever over heated and had to let it cool plus the attachments will do all that the processor does at least for us 
    Ah.  I live alone, usually cook for one or two, I'd never have the need/opportunity to shred a 5-lb block of cheese!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

KA is good to have. I find accessories for it every now and then, or go to B3.

What accessory does the cheese? Pic?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bigphil
    Options
    @Aviator it's the slicer and shredder attachment
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    bigphil said:
    @Aviator it's the slicer and shredder attachment

Thanks, yes I just ran over to Amazon and found it. Does it work well?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bigphil
    Options
    @Aviator first time we used the shredder attachment but that being said it shredder a 5 pound block of cheese in minutes and the motor never bogged down or Heated up Unlike our food processor . Which was a ordeal to use and made more clumps that shredded cheese
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options
    Bought my wife a KA a few years ago for her birthday. One of the best things I've bought her.  We use it so much it stays on the counter.  In fact used it just Monday to mix the pizza dough.