Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hmmm unplugged freezer...

Options
double
double Posts: 1,214
Came home to the freezer being unplugged for 24hrs. I have 29 scallops, 3lbs of salmon fillets, 2lbs of cod about 10lbs of bacon and a bunch of lamb.... Guess I better light the egg...
Lynnwood WA

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    How did it come unplugged? If things are still frozen go get some dry ice if you need to come back to freezing temps.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • double
    Options
    Some friggin idiot had a few beverages and made some goodies in the dehydrator... I believe he thought the freezer plug was actually and extension cord and unplugged it to plug in said dehydrator... Low and behold today the wife went to get some bacon from the freezer and said dehydrator and said extension are plugged in but the freezer is unplugged! Food was already soft but still at around 35 to 38 degrees so still safe I believe but not able to refreeze.
    Lynnwood WA
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    You can still refreeze it if its at those temps (at least I would). It will just lose a little more moisture since it is being frozen again and more cells are being ruptured by freezing it. If you don't feel safe doing that you will just eat really well over the next week or so :D
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I'd just plugged it back in but just me.

Eat up!

XLBGE 
  • SWATSgt
    SWATSgt Posts: 21
    Options
    My deep freezer flipped the safety outlet and was off for at least one day maybe two. The bottom stuff was nice and solid still but a few of the small items on top were soft. I plugged it back in after 
    resetting the plug and i havent died yet from eating any of the food :) 
    A few of the items that softened up were seafood as well. 

Plug it back in and never look back as long as the majority of the items are still froze.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @SWATSgt...

after 
    resetting the plug and i havent died yet from eating any of the food

If you did and were still posting here you'd be one hardcore egger.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Hope you had some choice words for whoever the idiot was who unplugged it. 
    double said:
    Some friggin idiot had a few beverages and made some goodies in the dehydrator... I believe he thought the freezer plug was actually and extension cord and unplugged it to plug in said dehydrator... Low and behold today the wife went to get some bacon from the freezer and said dehydrator and said extension are plugged in but the freezer is unplugged! Food was already soft but still at around 35 to 38 degrees so still safe I believe but not able to refreeze.

;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I just sold my 8.8cu ft freezer for that same reason. I'm going to get one with a door and lost power alarm. I lost the contents of my entire freezer 3 times. One of those times it was full of about 100 lbs of deer meat.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I painted the plug on my freezer dayglo orange and put a tag on it advising to not unplug.  

Mine is in my basement utility room and I'm the only idiot that is likely to unplug anything in there, but I thought it best to give myself a reminder...
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

I just sold my 8.8cu ft freezer for that same reason. I'm going to get one with a door and lost power alarm. I lost the contents of my entire freezer 3 times. One of those times it was full of about 100 lbs of deer meat.

I want a stand up deep freeze bad! It's on the list. But currently I've been drooling of a bigger tv before football. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

Seafood is not considered defrosted until it gets above 40 degrees, and i would think from your list of items, they are the most critical.

The electrical industry is slowly converting, code wise, all household circuits to be protected by Arc Fault Protection because it reduces fires.  Also garage receptacles, require to be Ground Fault Circuit Protected.  These items can inadvertantly trip from power surges and sometimes other things connected to the same circuit.  Freezers should NOT be connected to these circuits.  Had a good friend of mine go on a three week vacation, and had the neighbor feeding there fish.  She called me to tell me there was a strange smell in the garage!!  Ground fault recepticle tripped and shut the power off to the freezer about ten days earlier.  This guy fishes with me and his freezer was full of dolphin(mahi-mahi).  I had to dig a hole the size of a VW in his back yard to get rid of the mess, and he had to get rid of the freezer.

• double
    Options

Seafood is not considered defrosted until it gets above 40 degrees, and i would think from your list of items, they are the most critical.

The electrical industry is slowly converting, code wise, all household circuits to be protected by Arc Fault Protection because it reduces fires.  Also garage receptacles, require to be Ground Fault Circuit Protected.  These items can inadvertantly trip from power surges and sometimes other things connected to the same circuit.  Freezers should NOT be connected to these circuits.  Had a good friend of mine go on a three week vacation, and had the neighbor feeding there fish.  She called me to tell me there was a strange smell in the garage!!  Ground fault recepticle tripped and shut the power off to the freezer about ten days earlier.  This guy fishes with me and his freezer was full of dolphin(mahi-mahi).  I had to dig a hole the size of a VW in his back yard to get rid of the mess, and he had to get rid of the freezer.

Yep I have 2 circuits in my garage one is a gfci circuit and the other is not. Doesn't matter what the circuit is if you unplug it though:-) man I couldn't imagine 10 days!

Lynnwood WA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I couldn't handle it ---  got the wife involved!!!  She went in and put the "stuff" in big plastic bags.  Then would call me, i'd be at the front door with the back door open, i would take a deep breath run thru the house pick up the bag and out the back door to the hole!!  It was bad!!  The hardware store had some type of spray concentrate -- and the guy suggested not watering it down, but use it full strength, it worked good.  The juices ran inside the insulation on the freezer, so it was shot.  Had to put it outside.   :-*