Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Lump Review

Options
dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I received three 20 pound bags of Rockwood lump from #Stlcharcoal a little while back and have been cooking with it for the last several days.  I've done low and slow (smoked turkey), medium (Salmon), high heat (pizza), and a lot of stuff in between (filets, stuffed flank steak, appetizers, burgers, and beer can chicken).  The lump pieces in the first bag I've opened weren't huge, mostly medium sized, and hardly any chips or dust.  The box the bags came in was pretty beat up by the time it reached me so I'm betting the pieces were a little bigger before they were shipped.  It is very easy to light and has very little sparking (I use a map torch). You need to watch it at start up because it heats up very quickly.  Last night I lit 4 places, went into the kitchen to start my prep, came out less than 7 minutes later and it was already at 550 dome temp.  Very quickly burns off any VOCs and tastes great on any meat I cooked (haven't baked with it yet).  It maintained low and slow (225) with no problem at all for the turkey and can wrap the dome thermo with no problem. It seems to burn very efficiently and has less ash than most of the other lump I use (I cooked the low and slow and 4 other meals without adding more charcoal or cleaning out the ash.  I'm very impressed with this charcoal. 

So far, Rockwood is as good as the best bag of ozark oak or dragon breath that I have ever used.  It is far better than any bag of BGE, Wicked Good, RO, GFS, or B&B I've used.

I'm doing two 9 pound boston butts and 19 pound brisket this weekend and will provide more of a review after 20 to 24 hours of low and slow.

Thanks #stlcharcoal for going out of your way to letting me try your product.  I can hardly wait to hear the Naked Whiz's review.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Nice. What does a bag of that stuff run? Where are you located?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Yep, me too.  I hope weekend after next to do it.  Dizzy Fest is this weekend!

The Naked Whiz
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    rholt said:
    Nice. What does a bag of that stuff run? Where are you located?

60 pounds delivered to the Nashville area was about $70.  It is sold around the St. Louis area in a bunch of retail stores.  Jonathan can make a much better deal if there is a pallet buy.  I would check with him through his website at www.rockwoodcharcoal.com 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2013
    Options

Shipping a few charcoal bags cross-country is tough.  Not only is it expensive, but it breaks down.  Properly kilned charcoal it brittle, so the more it bounces around, the more it breaks down.  Think of it like a bag of Lays potato chips.

You can wrap it in 20 layers of bubble wrap and padding, but that's only protects against impacts and rough jolts.  It's not going to stop the general agitation and the shippers throwing it around.

With your box, that was the first I tried the larger boxes (3 bags at a time).  I was hoping the larger size would mean they used hand truck or it would get special handling since it was 65 lbs.  I knew it would stay on the bottom shelf.  I shipped one bag to Naked Whiz, so it will be interesting to see how that one turned out vs. the three bags in a box.

Pallets are simpler to ship and much easier for me to guarantee the quality.  It's surprisingly cheap to ship several entire pallet vs. just a few bags.  The break even point seems to be around 10-15 bags (same cost as shipping 30 bags on pallet).

I have a local shipper that gave me access to their online quoting system......I can get LTL quotes in seconds.  Just let me know the ZIP, number of pallets, and if you need liftgate service.