Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baking steel or not to baking steel

I've been talking with Andris about cutting me a round steel..I'm just not sure if I should get it or not. Please provide me with pros and cons and pics to back up the pros...I'm on the fence. I don't make many pizzas...so thoughts?
·

Comments

• biznorkbiznork Posts: 112
    It seems like there was a bunch of excitement here about them and then nobody really talked about them after they got delivered. Weird.
    ·
  • yumdingeryumdinger Posts: 184
    I love mine, made the best pizza I have ever made.  Tonight I did burgers an onions on it, fantastic.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,930
    I haven't used mine yet...but seeing it used as a flat top is pretty awesome! It makes me more excited to use it. I'm hoping to make some pies this weekend.

Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Pizzas turned out great on mine hope to use it as a griddle sometime soon.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • BustersdadBustersdad Posts: 227
    Made pizzas with mine this past weekend...they were great
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,443
    I haven't scheduled a pizza night so it hasn't been used yet.  Like cazzy, seeing it used like a flat top is interesting and I can't think of a better way to season it like cooking burgers and grilled onions.  Thanks for the idea @Mighty_Quinn !

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,741
    Ok...so pizza was mentioned a lot.
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I haven't scheduled a pizza night so it hasn't been used yet.  Like cazzy, seeing it used like a flat top is interesting and I can't think of a better way to season it like cooking burgers and grilled onions.  Thanks for the idea @Mighty_Quinn !

:-c Here you go OP image image
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    I've never understood the hype.  I just use a CI comal to achieve the same thing.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    I feel the same way as VI. I don't know that the steel would offer something to me that my cast iron stuff and a pizza stone can't already do, especially to justify the cost.

Just my $.02

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,654
    Not many pizzas, a lodge cast iron can get you skillet burgers and anything else you can cook on the steel more than likely.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,295
    dpittard said:
    I feel the same way as VI. I don't know that the steel would offer something to me that my cast iron stuff and a pizza stone can't already do, especially to justify the cost. Just my $.02
    For me, I did consider the cost but when pricing out the same-sized stone and cast iron with the same level of quality it was cheaper to get the Baking Steel. 
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,741
    I already have ci and pizza stone. I'm glad I asked you peeps. It doesn't look like it will add much to my cooks
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I just wanted a 21 inch steel frisbee :-)
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 736
    dpittard said:
    I feel the same way as VI. I don't know that the steel would offer something to me that my cast iron stuff and a pizza stone can't already do, especially to justify the cost. Just my $.02
    For me, I did consider the cost but when pricing out the same-sized stone and cast iron with the same level of quality it was cheaper to get the Baking Steel. 
    +1

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·