Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Been mulling...

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
I started a thread the other day wondering how many members we have. I've been thinking (dangerous) about the group buy and how many people bought the grill extender.
What if this forum adopted a cause, a charity to support and contribute to. More than 100 people spent $25 on an accessory... What could we do to help someone.
Looking at the thread sharing what we all do for a living it's obvious most of us are blessed.. We'll drop more on groceries in a weekend than some families for in a month.
We could merely choose a charity and individually donate money with a mention of a name we choose. It would still be tax deductible and we could ask the organization to tally our giving so it's all private.
We could ask members for charitable organizations and Egghead team names. I'm sure travis could point us to a veterans fund... There's cancer groups, children's hospitals, food banks, etc.

Just a thought.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I'm in

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'm in.  Hey, just how many idea men do we have here?

I'm pretty sure LS had hiis hand in this somehow...or he will at least say he did.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'm in. Like you suggested, I definitely would like to have options. Teams would be awesome, assuming one if chrisnjenn's aliases isn't on my team!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm in all the way
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Amazing timing, I just saw an ad for http://www.dropandgivethem10.com/. Let's knock out 10 and get this started.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2013
    Options
    great idea. am in just the cost of not doing a brisket or a Boston butt for a weekend and donating that amount by members of this forum would make a huge difference .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited May 2013
    Options

Let me offer up the following for consideration- (a thread of a few days ago but lost in the fog of BGE clear smoke)

Shameless promo info here-I volunteer for a chapter of a national organization titled "Honor Flight".  Takes WWII veterans to DC for a tour of their memorial (and others).  Web site here- http://www.honorflight.org/  About the most emotional and powerful day you could imagine.  I'm not one to advertise or promote but within this group there may be some who would participate and only need the insight.  We all owe those who have gone before us and willingly signed the check...   

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Count me in..
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    In.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I think we all have an idea about deserving charities.  If we're doing teams, perhaps each team can decide which one to help?  For personal reasons, I'm partial to cancer research and alzheimer's research.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Hell ya I'm in.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• henapple
    Options
    I was thinking more along the line of just one charity but I can see we are all passionate about different areas and all are deserving and needed. Idk... I'm just the idea guy... Not a very good manager.

Maybe different groups with a leader who'll keep the ball rolling and update us from time to time. Each group decide what their goals are... whether a one time gift or regular involvement. I've seen the generosity of the folks in this forum.

I need Eggcelsior...
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/Default.aspx?tsid=66&campaignSource=CDRO&source=B100127

My favorite charity, but anything that you guys want to donate to is going to be a great cause.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    Options
    What if we settled on a charity for each quarter. Military, cancer, kids, etc... A leader for each quarter. At 500 members giving $25 per quarter we could raise about 50k split between the 4 organizations... Maybe more?
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I'm in, This is something we should be doing
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I'm in.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    henapple . . .  I'm in!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I'm in too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    henapple said:
    What if we settled on a charity for each quarter. Military, cancer, kids, etc... A leader for each quarter. At 500 members giving $25 per quarter we could raise about 50k split between the 4 organizations... Maybe more?

I like that idea. 4 donations a year (one every 3 months), one quarter for military, one for cancer, one for kids and somebody come up with a 4th. People can decide if they want to just donate for their favorite or spread it out. I'm sure we can all afford to save $25 in a 3 month period to donate, or more if they are so inclined.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    Options
    I'd be willing to organize the kids part. Maybe make-a-wish or St Jude children's hospital.

Griffin is right. $25 should be easy if not more. We could give up our Woodford....ok, we'll find somewhere else to cut.
  • henapple
    Options
    Fred, could you take the cancer quarter?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Perhaps we can start something called Operation Eggheads that would benefit multiple groups. I like the idea of veterans(my grandfather served in WWII and Korea), Cancer(mom had Breast Ca and my grandmother died of Colon Ca, kids(my wife and I donate a lot to St. Jude). We did a lot at Shock Trauma with grievous injuries to soldiers that had to be transferred from Walter Reed and Bethesda Naval. Perhaps paying for a therapy dog training for veterans with TBI/PTSD since this is often not covered and the change in patients is INCREDIBLE with therapy dogs. The honor flight thing is fantastic. We do an adaptive skiing program with the wounded warrior project at the ski resort that I patrol at. There is a lot more options than we'll ever be able to think of.

Another option is doing a soup kitchen BBQ. Many of us are grouped together near major cities so perhaps we can set-up chapters that work with the soup kitchen to donate food and time to have a BBQ on a weekend day sometime in the summer and maybe set-up a holiday one. I sure that we could get food donated to cook by working with local stores(Maybe something like Restaurant Depot). It would be almost like a charity Eggfest. Get local radio stations involved and have it sponsored by local business. Charge admission and all proceeds go to the shelter/food bank. A big benefit would be the ability to see real change at the local level. This really helps open up wallets in you know what I mean...
  • henapple
    Options
    I also thought of supporting the bbq team that cooks for disaster victims. I believe they are self funded.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Count me in.  I'm for the fourth one to be food bank related.  I like Eggcelsior's idea about charity eggfests, unfortunately I don't live near any big cities, but maybe could help in some other way.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    henapple said:
    I also thought of supporting the bbq team that cooks for disaster victims. I believe they are self funded.

Maybe we could start our own team to cook for disasters.  We could all send our support to the few in the area that would actually do the cooking.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapple
    Options
    Hearing your ideas I'd say the possibilities are endless. Everything rises and falls on leadership. Who's gonna step up.?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    henapple said:

Fred, could you take the cancer quarter?

@henapple - I don't know the first thing about doing this. I'm kinda an idea guy. But I'm willing to learn.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    Options
    Obviously you have a passion for cancer victims after what you've been through. Just roll with it. I'm sure you can team up with some folks here. If you choose breast cancer will you call your project (pork) "butts for boobs"?