Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

World Famous Cen-Tex Brisket

CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Thanks to a very generous act of kindness by Cen-Tex, the family got to feast on one of his amazing briskets today. Wow! So THAT'S what is supposed to be like!
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Just wait til you get the invoice! :-S

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Just wait til you get the invoice! :-S
    Let the man talk Steven. He said I was generous :))

Glad it worked out @CPARKTX. I'm always looking for a good excuse to cook another one. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    As had been said before-"better to be lucky than good any day of the week."  Nice move Cen-Tex...did you include the detailed adult beverage fueled cooking process :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    As had been said before-"better to be lucky than good any day of the week."  Nice move Cen-Tex...did you include the detailed adult beverage fueled cooking process :)
    sadly I didn't have anything to drink yesterday. I'm growing up.............or I'm dying, not sure which.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Nicely done centex.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Lucky. CT is a good man.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs said:
    Lucky. CT is a good man.
    now that's funny right there. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    That was my first thought

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Cen Tex helped me with mine. I gave him play by play and he guided me all the way through.
    Felt like I got my training wheels off and he pushed me down the road on my bike.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Solid move....I wish a Beef Angel dropped a brisket on my front porch!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:

• cazzy said:
    It was more like a shady dope deal in an HEB parking lot :))

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The cen tex brisket? That's it, I'm outta here.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    edited May 2013
    Hey, I'll do shady parking lot brisket deals with Cen-Tex any time
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2013
    For anyone interested, this was the "Salado Brisket" but I used a Meyer All Natural brisket instead of a standard choice brisket. This is the brisket Franklin BBQ uses here in Austin. As noted on the other thread, they were pretty rough when I got them and I had to do some serious trimming and even a little surgery to get them right. Pretty disappointing for the $. That being said, the quality of the meat was outstanding once trimmed up

I never tasted this one but it looked right and Cpark said it was good.I did the exact same one on Sunday and it was really good. I didn't notice a huge difference in this brisket and a normal choice brisket so don't sweat it if you can't find the boutiq-y stuff. Normal choice is fine.Here are the basics:

Fancy (or not fancy) choice brisket
    All hard fat removed, fat cap trimmed to 1/8"
    Bad Byron's (full coverage but do not double up with Bad Byron's- it can be salty if overdone)
    250 dome (17 hours for 9 lbs once trimmed up)
    I used Ozark Oak and more importantly- OAK CHUNKS (6 or 8)
    Oak makes the difference with brisket. If you haven't tried it, do that next. 
    I didn't use any thermos this cook (other than the dome). I checked with thermapen in the AM and pulled when it read 195-208 internal depending on where you stuck it. It felt right, so I pulled it.
    Wrapped in butcher paper, 2 layers of foil, lots of towels and put in a cooler.

This thing rested in a cooler for 7 hours while Cpark was at work. he says it was still plenty hot when he got it, and it was very moist and tender. I've really good luck on the super long rests. The Salado brisket was also 5-6 hours so don't sweat it if it's done early. Lots of towels and foil and let it ride.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Awesome!!! Thanks Cen-Tex for sharing.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

500 Posts: 3,177
    The Cen-Tex Smoker.  What oak is good for this?  I have a few recently felled oaks behind my house, but I'm not sure if they are red or white oak.  I'm guessing it is likely white.  My question is, can I just cut up some chunks and pitch them in, as long as it is disease, bug, and rot free?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • 500 said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker.  What oak is good for this?  I have a few recently felled oaks behind my house, but I'm not sure if they are red or white oak.  I'm guessing it is likely white.  My question is, can I just cut up some chunks and pitch them in, as long as it is disease, bug, and rot free?
    I use white. I know red oak has great flavor for beef but post oak is the deal down here and that is in the white oak family.

I'm pretty sure you can use clean felled wood. Don't see why not

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385

No comment.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade said:

No comment.
    Thank you. Not sure it would do you much good if you did comment.

• LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    One of these weekends I need to try a Brisket.... But for now I continue to soak up advice, like Cen-Tex offers above!