Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slow cooking in the small

Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a small BGE. Is it to small to put enough charcoal in tho slow
cook? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Ray

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Ray,[p]Your small Egg will cook 225-250F for about 8-10 hours on a full load of lump. Although this is short for a low and slow cook, low and slow is still possible on your Egg. You will need to reload at some point in the cook.[p]On a 7 pound cook, start the cook at 10PM and figure to reload around 6-7AM. Remove the meat to a foil wrap and towels in a cooler while you reload and restart your Egg. Once it gets back to temp (and stops emitting white smoke), add the meat and continue on with the cook. The change will add approx 1 hour to the cooking time.[p]Spin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Spin,[p]Heed Spin's advice. He is the one that originally convinced me to get a Small over the Mini and the one that coached me through my first cooks on the Small (not to put pressure on you, Spin :). His advice is always right on and he has a lot of experience on the Small. My answers to Small cooking techniques will merely be echoes of what I've learned from Spin and others on this fine forum.[p]I likey ribs,
    Cornfed

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Cornfed,[p]Thanks for the kind words. I offer that your experiences are as important as any other, and thus are a valuable addition to this melting pot of Egging experience called the BGE forum.[p]Congrats on the ribs[p]Spin