Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teach me the ways of the Cheeseburger

There are articles about ribs, buts, and briskets everywhere. Steak methods and chicken dishes galore.. But somehow I can't seem to get a burger right on the eggs I have used so far. Anyone have a good resource on how to take my burger making from bland to grand?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• There are articles about ribs, buts, and briskets everywhere. Steak methods and chicken dishes galore.. But somehow I can't seem to get a burger right on the eggs I have used so far. Anyone have a good resource on how to take my burger making from bland to grand?

Totally agree with you.  I've dialed in almost everything I've cooked over the past three years, but burger cooks remain wildly inconsistant. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    There are articles about ribs, buts, and briskets everywhere. Steak methods and chicken dishes galore.. But somehow I can't seem to get a burger right on the eggs I have used so far. Anyone have a good resource on how to take my burger making from bland to grand?

Totally agree with you.  I've dialed in almost everything I've cooked over the past three years, but burger cooks remain wildly inconsistant. 

Glad I'm not the only one. We made some hockey pucks over the weekend... But at least I was able to follow them up with an awesome spatchock chicken, lol.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I have made them a few times.  I learned to grind my own meat (chuck, brisket, pork) to make the burgers.  I have stuffed some with cheddar a few weeks ago.

400 Raised direct ~ 8 minutes a side - Perfect.

Garnerville, NY
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited May 2013
    Here's my 2 cents...

It all starts with the meat. Many grind there own; but I've always had good luck with store bought. You should start with medium ground (certainly no less than lean). Your patty size might also be too small. I usually use at least 1/3 pound per patty.

As far as seasoning... I try to keep it pretty simple... salt, pepper, paprika and a little ground cumin mixed into the meat.

Once you put the meat on the Egg do not press down on it with your spatula and only flip the burgers one time.

If you're adding cheese... do that just a minute or two before you plan to take the burgers off the fire.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    What temps are ya'll cooking at?  Are you going close to to lump or cooking up higher?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    To be honest, I don't bother with the temp when cooking burgers; just cook them at normal grill height until the top of the burgers begin to turn grayish and then flip them. Only cook on the second side for a couple of minutes. I prefer mine a little pink in the middle but, the rest of the family likes them fully cooked all the way through, so, that's how I do it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    This took me awhile, too. I don't bother grinding my own meat; I get mine at a butcher. Handle it just enough to shape, and put the indent in the middle. Three to a pound. Plenty of salt and pepper. Stabilize at 400 for at least 5 minutes with a CI grate. ON THE MINI, I cook three minutes a side for medium/medium rare, opening the lid only to flip and never squish. The timing took me about four cooks to perfect, and I used the Thermapen. 

The timing on the different size eggs is different. The mini is so close to the coals that overcooking is easy. I rarely cook burgers for guests so I haven't perfected the timing on the large. Get 2 pounds of burger and just practice, making sure you let the grill get back up to temp before putting on another set. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

Cook 'em hot....550/600ish.

Flip every 90 seconds. 

Best way I have found.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Biggest helpers for me between good burgers and hockey pucks is my Thermapen and closing the bottom vent more when I'm opening the egg to check temperatures.

I stabilize the egg at around 500 with my cast iron grill.  When I'm ready to put the burgers on I close the bottom vent a bit more to keep too much air from making the fire go crazy with opening and closing to flip and check for temp. 

Because burgers are so thin there isn't much carry over so I cook almost to the desired doneness.

When I get a hockey puck for sure the temp is nearing 180 or higher.  I try and pull near 155 since that's how the Canadian's were raised on them - we don't generally eat burgers cooked less than that.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griffin said:
    Start with grinding your own meat. Keep the ingredients simple, no binders or breadcrumbs. I like just salt and pepper. Handle the meat as little as possible. Put a thumbsized indention in the middle to keep it flat when it cooks. Never press down with a spatula. Don't let the meat sit out at room temp. Striaght from the fridge (or even the freezer for 20 minutes or so)
    +1

This is the way to do it as there is nothing better than fresh ground beef. If I get store-bought, I cook it to higher temp since I cannot control the cleanliness of the meat department. I add some Worcestershire sauce with rub(Cow lick, whatever your favorite is). I haven't had any from my butcher yet. I prefer using my 110 year old meat grinder that my grandfather used when he was a butcher's apprentice. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Agree with home grinding or butcher. I use anchovy paste, chopped anchovies or fish sauce, some Worcestershire and dehydrated onions and garlic.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thatgrimguy
    I have a thermapen on order and expect it to help me immensely...  

I like the idea of just making up a bunch and doing them one at a time till I figure out what works for me.  I definitely haven't had any luck so far.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Doing one at a time has its utility, but if you are wanting to perfect timing then 1 burger will cook quicker than 6. Another reason why cooking to temp will likely be very helpful. And as others mentioned, don't play with your meat - the more you compact it during patty-making or grilling the worse it will turn out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    The biggest help for me is the thermapen and a consistent patty size (typically 5oz or so with similar thickness).  Salt, pepper, and sometimes a bit of McCormick's steak seasoning.
    XL BGE
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    oh...and at least 20% fat in the ground beef.
    XL BGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Something that keeps coming up that I'm sure I'm messing up is the patty making. I've been patting mine WAY too much. Thanks for the tip! I spent a lot of time researching cooks I had never tried, but figured I was ready to just have at burgers!  Well hopefully my next batch will come out better!
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662

Someone on here posted this umami burger recipe and I haven't fixed burgers any other way since.  The Thai fish sauce, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar work really well together. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    I'm with Necessaryindulge on the Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt. I also add a little bit of Lawry's Garlic Powder. Mix it all together & make the patties. Ditto on handling the least amount of time and having the meat very cold. We use ground chuck and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes per side. Flip once only, then pull them. Juicy every time.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • I've always had troubles with hamburgers until just recently. I used to cook high heat until they were done, but I always messed up somehow. Now I cook at 300 degrees direct heat on the normal grid. I usually throw a Mesquite wood chunk on as well. Once their almost done I open all vents, get the Egg up to about 550-600 Degrees and sear both sides. Add your favorite cheese for a few minutes and your done. I only use salt and a little DP Raisin the Steaks. I've cooked burgers this way a few times and everyone loves them. Really juicy and full of flavor.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Try dipping your hands in cold water/under running cold water between shaping each patty. Not soaking wet, but shake off the excess water so they are just damp. It will help prevent the heat of your hands melting the fat in the burger.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

One thing I've done is smoked burgers that have really turned out great.

2 lbs ground beef, combine in bowl with 1 cup grated cheese of your choice and 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce, then season to taste w/ season salt, black pepper and onion powder (or favorite rub, whatever).  Blend together well and make patties.

Get Egg to 220-230 indirect and cook for 55-60 minutes. 

This is kind of a hybrid of a recipe from Smoke & Spice and another recipe I found.  The ingredients can be changed or added to to suit taste, i.e., chopped onions, jalepenos, etc.  The smoke and the BBQ sauce really give the burgers that chop house flavor.  May not be for everyone, but they've always gone over great here.  And I've done several cooks of these for large groups and everyone raved about them. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2013

I use ground sirloin(store bought at Publix) and add 2 -3 strips of bacon. Run them through my KA.

Then add some DP raising the steak, 1/2 tsp of bread crumbs, and 1/3 cup of evaporated milk and a tsp of fish sauce. Also add some finely diced Serrano (optional) Goes back in fridge for an hour.

Patties are as described above. DO NOT press. Dimple the center, on the egg direct at 450-500 and turn once, 3 min per side. You will have the juiciest burgers eva!

I make this up and freeze it in freezer bags so they are ready to go. I have these cravings for a huge mound of deliciously pulverized meat every so often and lately even hardy's 6$ burger is not cutting it. Gotta make my own and its so satisfying when it comes of my SmBGE. Lately it has been taken to the next level with Ozark Oak Lump, thanks to the Wiz of Oz.

Also try a bourbon glaze on it. Outta this planet!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    1/3 lb  cut in half  flatten each side  put a layer of Gorgonzola and add the middle and seal. Cook at ~500 or so.  Cook until blood starts to run on top, then flip. finish to your desired doneness. cook bacon on the side and add a layer of Gorgonzola and bacon on top...  YYYYUUUUMMMM!!!!!!
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Wow, this is funny, I was just wondering what I should have my wife grab while at the store. So what is the consensus with regards to what type of meat to ask the butcher to grind and how to grind it? I don't want to get crazy, just like sirloin or whatever.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Don't get sirloin too lean. Get him to rough grind a chuck roast for you for the most simple and cheapest.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Nothing leaner then 85% lean and I typically go 80%.  73% if just cooking for me.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Lit said:
    Don't get sirloin too lean. Get him to rough grind a chuck roast for you for the most simple and cheapest.
    Happening as I type this! Thanks.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2013
    Lit said:
    Happening as I type this! Thanks.
    Sirloin is far more tastier than chuck. Yes, its lean. So you add bacon to it. Gives it what it needs ie. fat to make it so juicy, and adds flavor. Try it. You will not go back.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.