Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless Tables

I'm in the market for a stainless table for an XL Egg.  I've not been able to find anything available locally (Saskatchewan Canada).

So far I've managed to find three different manufacturers:

Challenger
TIm @ Castle Stove in Illinois
Southern Specialties

Now I'm not 100% sold on any of the three manufacturers yet, only because I haven't done enough research so far.

I have a couple questions though. 

-Am I missing any manufacturers?
-As far as locating a dealer closest to where I am, I've found Challenger/Southern Specialties dealer within 600 miles.  Does anybody know of anything closer to Saskatoon SK?
-Can any current owners of SS tables comment on specific manufacturers pros or cons, also and general likes or dislikes about the stainless cabinets in general?
-Can anybody recommend any "must have" options on a cabinet (ie casters, shelving, storage, etc)?

This thread will possibly be followed up with a "BBQ'ing Across America" thread as I'm planning/wanting to drive down myself to pick up whichever cabinet I settle on. 

I've been looking for an excuse to do a bit of a Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives tour into the U.S.A., and this may give me the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. 

Thanks in advance,
Kevin.

Comments

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited May 2013
    I would check with local restaurants as to where they have gotten SS work done.  If not that check out the local sheet metal fabricators or higher end weld shops.  I'm sure the transportation and duties would drive the costs up considerably.  The road trip does sound like fun though.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    how does stainless hold up with the egg? my concerns have been will sunlight or heat from the egg itself make the table too hot? very interested to hear everyone's comments because my table has seen it's better day but i have not made an upgrade because i didnt know how stainless would do with heat from sunlight and egg.
  • sox203
    sox203 Posts: 22
    I just picked up my Challenger last week.  Mine is the aluminum version but it is money, the quality is fantastic and with anodized finish appears be to very low maintenance.  I'd have to say after working in restaurants for years and cleaning a lot of SS the ano aluminum is the better choice for me.  Good luck with your search.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    Speaking of which, I just got my granite today. Unfortunately it is raining and they couldn't do the seams or the caulking
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

What is the Challenger company full name?

I'd like to look at their web site.

Thanks

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • sox203
    sox203 Posts: 22
    jaydub58 said:

What is the Challenger company full name?

I'd like to look at their web site.

Thanks

http://www.challengercabinets.com/grill-carts.php
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I got my table from Castle Stoves and I love it. Just look at my avatar to see a pic. I have had no issues with heat transfer. I would be worried about sun glare if my Egg was in a sunny area but that is not an issue for me as my deck is shaded most of the day.. I think the thing you need to check is shipping costs from various vendors.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    There is a umbrella bracket available on Castle model.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Tspud1 said:
    There is a umbrella bracket available on Castle model.
    Is that something that can be added to mine Tim?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    I got my table from Castle Stoves and I love it. Just look at my avatar to see a pic. I have had no issues with heat transfer. I would be worried about sun glare if my Egg was in a sunny area but that is not an issue for me as my deck is shaded most of the day.. I think the thing you need to check is shipping costs from various vendors.
    +1 on Castle Stoves.  Tim is super to work with and the quality of his tables is nothing short of great.  Shipping to Canada, might be the only deal breaker.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Send me a message and I'll see about getting you a pair.