Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Capped the Long Weekend with Pizza, Best Yet

Options

I didn't have any 00 flour on hand but I did have some old high-gluten flour typically used by pizza joints so I was able to go with a higher hydration (70%) and my typical 8 hour room temp ferment.

PS legs down with the opening facing the back, the two side openings were blocked with bricks.  I hoped this would direct heat towards the back and up the dome allowing for a flow found in Italian ovens.  Spring-form pan on top of the PS, Feet then stone.  I actually think I was a tad too high in the dome but got incredible spring on the crust, just too dark in places.

I still think the key for the style I'm after will be having the Baking Steel above the stone to get radiating heat down on the top of the pie.  Have to thank Federalist226 for the suggestion of "going nuclear" after the stone was at 700 degrees to get more heat on the top as it worked out quite nicely.  Pie was done in under 3 minutes.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice work. I effed my first Baking steel pie up last night. I went with 650 dome, PS legs up, grid, medium PS legs down, feet, BS. I got great spring but the bottom started turning burning way before the top was done(withing 3 minutes) I wonder if the steel was blocking air flow to the top and absorbing all the heat coming up. There was barely a gap around it with the dome. I must have been 6 inches above the felt line. Hmmm.... I am planning on trying again shortly at a lower temp.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    that is it, I am doing a peetza pie tonight...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Federalist226
    Options
    Fantastic results! Looks like you've got it figured out.