Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain on the Egg?

Options
Bama Egger
Bama Egger Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering purchasing a BGE (or a competitor) to trade up from my current steel smoker. I live in Bermuda and between the freight and duty this will be an EXPENSIVE proposition.
I was wondering how the BGE stands up to rain when in use. Is there a risk of the porcelain cracking when subject to a short but intense rain shower? How do others handle this situation?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Paul,[p]My Eggs reside on an open deck and have cooked in the rain without problem for near 2 years. You need not worry about any risk of cracking.[p]I have had the priviledge of visiting your island paradise several times and cherished each visit.[p]Spin

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Paul,[p]I'm a new EGG owner (going on two months). Used it about 5-6 tims a week. Here in Minnesota in June it rain, sometimes very hard. I've cooked twice in the rain. Doesn't even phase it.[p]As far as the EGG compared to a steel grill, EGG wins hands down. I have 20 years of experience with a steel, the food tastes superb, always moist. [p]But it really is an entirely different concept, as I am learning. A steel may have its place, but an EGG has a permanent place in my heart.[p]Good Luck with your decision.[p]Anthony

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Paul, I use mine in rain, and sleet and snow..No problems in 3 years of atmospheric testing. Not sure about the competitors tho..:-)
    C~W[p]

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />Paul,
    No problem cooking in the rain (or snow for that matter). The picture above shows my large BGE in action during a heavy snow fall. Used it during heavy downpours without any ill effects (except me getting soaked).[p]Mr Beer

• Bama Egger
    Bama Egger Posts: 137
    Options
    Mr Beer,
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sure glad I don't have to deal with that white stuff in the photo![p]Cheers,
    Paul