Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My "Stand-up double" brisket / pic fat

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Cleaned out the egg and loaded more than enough of OZARK OAK charcoal lump for a 15 lb brisket cook.
I could not find oak chunks anywhere...except when i cut the top off my Jack Daniels Barrel
It's a well known secret here on the forum that The Cen-Tex Smoker is a brisket god....true, he doesn't have "the ct method" like travis does but that's for another thread. Pointing being, I'm shooting for the holy grail....The SALADO brisket.
imageimage
Put it on around 10 pm Sat night...the maverick woke me up when the temp dropped below 225. Stumbled out and reconfigured and went back to bed. Around 6 am the maverick went of again and I shot it with my 9mm. Went out around 10 and rolled it up a little and started drinki....er, working. 
It stalled a really long time. Naturally i freaked out and started texting Bobby Flay. Eventually I took the advise of a couple of friends. I laid foil over it and cranked it to around 300. I would have liked to have a longer ftc and rest period but....it is what it is.
Here's to you @necessaryindulg
After removing the brisket i decided i had earned a victory drink...That T is for Tennessee. With our football program we need a drink. 
Yes, I cried.
 I loaded the ozark for a 22 hr cook and after going for 16 hrs this is what i had left. Literally enough for another 2 briskets. This may have actually hurt the cook. Many of the chunks i loaded never saw the fire.
All in all it was ok. A little bland for me. I have consulted a brisket expert and feel a little better. Sometimes the hardest person to please is yourself. I will def (street cred pts) do another soon. Sammiches tonight.
imageimage

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    looks good and agree on the Vols. Its going to be awhile but hoping.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2013
    looks good Tony. Something isn't right with the bark though. Should look like a meterite. That's why you were looking for more flavor. i think the timing of the foil messed with your bark formation. How much rub did you use?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    Quite a bit. I laid the fool over it for around 3 hrs. Next time I'll trim the fat off. Could that have messed up the bark?
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Looks good from here. I'd hit it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple said:
    Quite a bit. I laid the fool over it for around 3 hrs. Next time I'll trim the fat off. Could that have messed up the bark?

usually the bark will form over the fat cap. I always leave some on. 1/8-1/4 inch or so. I think it was the foil.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks good Tony!! I would eat it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Lousy looking brisket. Send it over here for proper disposal.

Seriously though, looks pretty good. Worst case scenario, it'll make some great chili. And thats not a bad scenario.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    I'd eat it Tony! That sammie looks niiiiice! I'm glad Jacob is at camp so you were able to use his camera. Great pics!!

My only problem is...what's up with the ketchup?? ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    I used foil before and had no bark. Personally I think brisket is a hard cook, not that I have done that many, but its an art. Just keep cooking them all will come together. Thats what I keep hoping for. Nice cook. 
  • henapple
    cazzy said:
    I'd eat it Tony! That sammie looks niiiiice! I'm glad Jacob is at camp so you were able to use his camera. Great pics!! My only problem is...what's up with the ketchup?? ;)
    For the potato cakes...
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Oh okay...that makes much more sense now. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,360
    Maybe when you laid the "fool" over it he ate the bark?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    henapple said:
    Here's to you @necessaryindulg

:-bd  Cheers! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,796

That's probably the best brisket you'll ever get drinking PBR.  Try Shiner Bock next time.  The bark will be much better.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It looks really good from here- nice and moist looking.  That sandwhich looks straight up ballin' (street cred). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I like em with a little less bark and that looks perfect to me. I think it is harder to get that easy eating inside without the meteorite exterior, maybe not to Texas standards but really good. Great cook, Mr. Ozark.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I like em with a little less bark and that looks perfect to me. I think it is harder to get that easy eating inside without the meteorite exterior, maybe not to Texas standards but really good. Great cook, Mr. Ozark.
    I agree with that. That's why I always rest for an hour or more. The bark softens dramatically but keeps the flavor. The bark right off the egg is too hard. Needs a rest to soften up. 
  • and BTW- I'm not bashing Tony's brisket. We have been talking on the side and he's asking for input. he's trying to get the same finished product that I brought to Salado and he told me he didn't feel he got there. I would have assumed it was great by the photo but I know what he's after and mine look different (and I never foil). Trying to get him there if that's where he wants to go.Might should have done it via text.........

• henapple
    Naw, it's good to let everyone in... It's how welearn. I know after seeing your brisket I left way too much fat on. That may have been the bark problem. I don't mind taking advice... I spent all weekend bothering guys for help. I also don't mind posting the cooks I struggle with... As well as my good ones, like the frickin chicken over in the throw down thread. It's not too late to vote. Bag of Ozark for each like.

(henapple productions is not affiliated with BGE or Ozark Oak. Free bag of Ozark Oak does not include tags, taxes or license. Delivery fees may apply.)

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    and BTW- I'm not bashing Tony's brisket. We have been talking on the side and he's asking for input. he's trying to get the same finished product that I brought to Salado and he told me he didn't feel he got there. I would have assumed it was great by the photo but I know what he's after and mine look different (and I never foil). Trying to get him there if that's where he wants to go.Might should have done it via text.........

Didn't mean to imply you were bashing hope it did not come across that way, 'cause I know you would never do that. I'm glad you share your expertise here on the forum, your comments help a lot. Sometimes my meteorites are a touch dry, so I foil to guarantee the result. By accident found out the family prefers it that way. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • and BTW- I'm not bashing Tony's brisket. We have been talking on the side and he's asking for input. he's trying to get the same finished product that I brought to Salado and he told me he didn't feel he got there. I would have assumed it was great by the photo but I know what he's after and mine look different (and I never foil). Trying to get him there if that's where he wants to go.Might should have done it via text.........

Didn't mean to imply you were bashing hope it did not come across that way, 'cause I know you would never do that. I'm glad you share your expertise here on the forum, your comments help a lot. Sometimes my meteorites are a touch dry, so I foil to guarantee the result. By accident found out the family prefers it that way. 
    it wasn't your comment. Just realized that it may have looked like I just jumped in and criticized when there was a lot going on behind the scenes. I try not to criticize anybody and I didn't want it to appear that way.

Thanks for the kind words. I do the same as you do. I never eat them right off the egg. I like the bark full and crusty off the egg but softened up during the hold period

• i do rest it in foil, so I guess I do wrap at some point. Just not during the cook.