Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with cinnamon rolls on the baking steel.

So I am going to try to be a good husband and make my wife cinnamon rolls with candied bacon chunks for breakfast in the morning. I have a plate setter, cooking grid, tin foil, and of course the baking steel. My questions are...1. What temp should I cook at? 2. Legs up or down on plate setter? 3. How long do I wait for the steel to heat up? Any help or advise is appreciated. This will be the first cook with the baking steel.
Persistence and determination are omnipotent!

Comments

• Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    No advise?? I'm hoping this turns out good. Gotta get swmbo on board with the idea of another egg. Lol.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sorry for no help. I haven't done this yet. I would go at a standard oven temp which I think is 350-375. Go PS legs up, grid, steel, riser for air gap and pan or even take out the steel and just have it on the grid(pan).
  • Firemedic183
    Sorry for no help. I haven't done this yet. I would go at a standard oven temp which I think is 350-375. Go PS legs up, grid, steel, riser for air gap and pan or even take out the steel and just have it on the grid(pan).

Looks like I'm gonna be the Ginny pig on this one. I will be sure to post an update. Thanks for the input Eggcelsior.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @Firemedic183 why did you think about the baking steel for cinnamon rolls? I get it for pizza where you want to radiate as much heat as possible to crisp up the bottom, but is that what you're shooting for with cinnamon rolls? Not saying it's a bad idea, just hadn't thought about it before.

Hope it turns out great, booking marking to hear more later.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Firemedic183
    @Black_Badger, the reason I got the baking steel was to replace the pizza stone. Now you have me thinking UhOh...I didn't think about the steel making the bottom of the rolls crisper. My game plan is to keep a very close eye on them. I will keep you posted for sure.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Depending on what kind of time you have tomorrow and what kind of cinnamon roll recipe you are using perhaps you could try a couple of different temps to see how much the Steel radiates the heat differently. Just a thought, I haven't even used mine for pizza yet so I hope to rectify that soon.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm speculating, but I don't think the steel will be that great for the cinnamon rolls. The cinnamon rolls are thick and the bottoms might burn (especially with the sugar and such) before the they are cooked through. If you do use the steel, think about going with the temps @Eggcelsior recommended, in a pan, with an air gap between the pan and the steel. I have a feeling that putting the rolls right on the steel will result in tears.

Please post back with results so we can learn something. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I think I would try cooking them at 300-325° and maybe give them a spin halfway through to help prevent the bottom burning. I haven't used a baking steel but I am sure it will work out good. 

I would make sure to pre-heat the steel in the egg for at least 20 mins before throwing it on. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I am thinking that you will need an air layer between the steel and buns to keep the bottom of the rolls from burning. When I bake on the egg I mimic how I would cook it in the oven.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Firemedic183
    Results post!! I lined a small baking sheet with tin foil and prepared 4 thick slices of bacon. I used 1 tsp of cayenne fine ground pepper, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I completely covered the bacon with the pepper brown sugar mix and baked on the egg with plate setter legs up, grid, and then baking sheet flipping the bacon every 5 minutes. I had the dome temp at 350-400. I then put the bacon on some paper towels and covered with tinfoil. I then put the baking steel on top of the grid and reduced egg temp to 325-350 dome. I let the steel heat up for 20 minutes per @Solson005 suggestion. Then a near disaster struck!! I had the cinnamon roll dough sitting on the counter throughout the process, and when I opened the container, the dough and frosting exploded in a huge doughy/ frosting mix mess. I was able to catch everything, and re rolled the rolls the best that I could, and salvaged the majority of the frosting. It looked like a cluster for a solid 5 minutes. With disaster averted, I placed the rolls on the baking steel and closed the dome. I was using the top of the daisy wheel and a Surefire flashlight to take peeks. At 12 minutes or so, I thought that I had better take a peek at the bottom. As many of you thought, I came close to burning the bottom. I didn't think the rolls were cooked all the way through though, so in my moment of dispair, I flipped them. I let them cook like that for about 45 seconds, and then thought...crap, I gotta put the bacon on top. So I flipped them back over, checked them, and they were perfect. They couldn't have come out any better!! My very strong advise should you attempt this is....watch VERY closely. Here are the pics.
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    WOW  Thant looks great. Thanks for the great pictures.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Glad it turned out great! I could use one of those right about now! =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    =D> very nice
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Damn those look good!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Firemedic183
    Thank you for the kind words. @Solson005, we will have to get together for a cook out sometime soon!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Great cook, glad it turned out well.

Do you think the toasty bottom was an innate part of using the baking steel, or would this have been averted at lower temp/longer cook time?

Going to have to give this a run soon...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I knew you hadn't heard of pig candy but damn!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Firemedic183
    Great cook, glad it turned out well.

Do you think the toasty bottom was an innate part of using the baking steel, or would this have been averted at lower temp/longer cook time?

Going to have to give this a run soon...

Cheers -
    B_B
    In my very limited experience it is just a part of using the baking steel. It may be wise to use a spacer.
  • Firemedic183
    I knew you hadn't heard of pig candy but damn!

Ummmm.....pig candy = pure bliss!!
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Pic of some caramel rolls I did a while back, althought they were not done on a steal they were good. PS legs dwn 350 dome for 20 mins

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Well done. Rolls look good.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Nice job, love the creativity. did you notice any difference cooking them on the egg in comparison to an oven? Never really done any true "baking" on the egg yet.
  • Firemedic183
    Nice job, love the creativity. did you notice any difference cooking them on the egg in comparison to an oven? Never really done any true "baking" on the egg yet.

It took a lot less time in the egg than in the oven. I also had to watch it a lot more closely as to not burn the bottoms.