Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL egg, place setter and drip pan

Options
I got an XL egg for an early father's day gift.  We had ribs for the first time last night, and they turned out great.

The XL place setter has short legs (unlike the large place setter, which seems to have longer legs).  I didn't use a drip pan last night, so my place setter got messy.  In the future, I want to use a drip pan to keep things cleaner, and also because I may want to put in some water/juices to get things moist.

Here's my question -- with the short legs of the XL place setter, it seems I'll need to use a very shallow drip pan.  Is that right?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    Options
    To clarify, my plan is to put a drip pan on the place setter (with the legs up) - and then put the grill on the place setter so the pan is underneath.  but due to the short legs of the place setter, it seems the pan would have to be shallow.  is this right?  Thanks
  • paraduxretrievers
    Options
    I had the same problem so I built a raised grill out of a 17" round webber grill from lowes and some stainless steel bolts, nuts, and fender washers. It works great and I only spent $30.
    Dirty Trucks..Lonely Wives..HAPPY DOGS! XL Big Green Egg...Place Setter...XL Pizza Stone
  • paraduxretrievers
    Options
    Here are pictures.
    Dirty Trucks..Lonely Wives..HAPPY DOGS! XL Big Green Egg...Place Setter...XL Pizza Stone
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Your drip pan has to be pretty shallow particularly if you want an air gap between the drip pan & XL plate setter. Here's what my set up looks like: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My pan is from the Ceramic Grill Store and I wrap it in foil for easy cleanup (just wasn't wrapped in this pic).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i use a old broiler pan from a oven i found at a flea market with a wire cooling trivet under it for the air gap in my XL
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I use foil pans on copper end caps for an air gap. I then squash it down a little.
    Lynnwood WA
  • n2wdw
    Options
    Thanks for all this information.  I just wanted to make sure I got the right pieces from the store.

Another question -- why do you need an air gap between the place setter and the drip pan?
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    to help prevent the drippings from burning 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Scott P
    Scott P Posts: 22
    Options
    Try this web site for a drip pan. The pan fits perfect between the plate setter and the grid. There are 2 different sizes one for large and XL. Wrap in foil for easy clean up http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/drip-pans.html
  • n2wdw
    Options
    Scott P said:
    Try this web site for a drip pan. The pan fits perfect between the plate setter and the grid. There are 2 different sizes one for large and XL. Wrap in foil for easy clean up http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/drip-pans.html
      thanks it looks great
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I use aluminum pans and squash then down a little to fit. I don't use an air gap between the pan and platesetter. Never had any issues. The drippings of the butts are all burned up, but have no effect on the outcome of the food. Also, a cheap grocery store 13x9 cake pan will fit between the setter and grid. I used to use that, but the aluminum pans are just easy to roll up and throw away.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    For my XL, I use these really short disposable baking pans that my wife gets at the dollar store. (She's a teacher so she's always there for cheap supplies). I use those with some small pieces of brick to raise it for an air gap.  

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby