Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My Brisket Story - I feel Like a Pro

danv23danv23 Posts: 521

First off, I’ve cooked Brisket twice before the one I made this weekend, of which neither was worth discussion.  I decided I wanted to master the beast, so I watched Franklin on You Tube go through his complete process.  I was inspired.

Went to Kroger and bought an 18lb packer Angus Select.  I trimmed it as Franklin instructed.  When it came to the rub of salt and pepper, I didn't want to spend an eternity with the grinder or the mortar and pestle, so I combined ¼ cup kosher salt and ¼ cup peppercorns and threw them in the coffee grinder.  I pretty much pulverized it to a powder.  But after I tasted it, I loved it.  On it went.  After the rub I let it sit out for an hour.  I hooked up the Guru to the XL, mixed in about 8 chunks of Oak into the lump, set ‘er at 250 and let ‘er go.  In the egg I added 2 drip pans to cover the platesetter and filled them with hot water, placed the grid on and then an elevated grid.  I have learned that having meat too close to full drip pans makes the meat taste like ****.

About the time the hour was up for letting the beast warm up on the counter, the fire was burning nice and clean.  I put it on at 4:45pm fully expecting it to cook for ~ 20 hours.  We were set to eat at 6:30pm.  Please note, if the fire wasn’t clean, i.e., thick white smoke, I would not have put the beast on.  I would have waited. 

Woke up at 8am to find internal was 195.  Yikes.  I grabbed some butcher paper and wrapped it up, reinserted the probe, and scaled the egg down to 210.  The beast felt pretty dam good, as far as done goes.  I noted that the flat felt about the same raw as when it’s done.  I checked with a toothpick, yep, done, but I was a long way away from eating time.  So I figured the wrap was the best idea. 

At 10:30am I heated up a can of beef broth and took the beast off and unwrapped it.  I got some foil ready, put the beast on it, poured the broth on it and continued to wrap with 4 more pieces of foil.  I then put it in a cooler that luckily was the dam near the same diameter as the beast, and packed about 5 bath towels on top of it.  I then put the cooler outside in the sun.

I left it in there until 4:30pm and then placed the beast (still in the foil), which was still hot to the touch, in a 170 degree oven.  I removed it at 5:30 to rest on the counter.  At 6pm I removed the foil on the top and took a peek inside.  I couldn’t believe how perfect it looked and smelled!!!!

At 6:30pm I sliced into it to find one of the best and most moist briskets I’ve ever had the pleasure to carve.  I served it and people went nuts over it.  A proud papa I was.

So why this story?  Well, I was freaked out the entire day when I essentially found it done at 8am.  There were some helpful folks here on the forum and I figured in order to pay it back/forward, I would write about how perfect it turned out. 

Moral of the story is don’t freak out, ask for help here, and enjoy the fruits of your labor!!!!!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
·

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,452
    Also good to read a success story!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Nishe!  Did you snap a pic?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,047
    Awesome! Any pictures or did it get eaten too fast?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 521
    Sorry folks.  I don't have any pics.  However, if you watch Franklins You Tube, yep, that's what mine looked like.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • Well done!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,435
    I'm assuming with no pics this is like one of my Penthouse Pet forum stories... =))

I never believed these stores were true till today. I'm a pizza delivery man in a small rural Midwest town.. LOL.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,288
    Did you wear your Santa outfit when you cooked it?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    I'm not the Santa, but those are my kids.  I suppose I should use a picture of me, but I love my kids more.

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • Nice write up Sir. Lots of good info there to be had.

·
    Thanks!!!!

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • Randy1Randy1 Posts: 373
    Inspiring....brisket has not been a strong suit for me.
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,591
    Great brisket story!  Nice tip with the coffee grinder.  Did the salt and pepper get a little coffee flavor?  That wouldn't be a bad thing!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,977
    Man I'm jealous! Thanks for posting the details. Sounds like one big hit.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    I cleared out as much of the grounds as i could, but like you suggested, the grounds smelled pretty good! Now, i did clean out my S&P mix from it real good so my wife wouldn't have S&P flavored coffee!! 

Cumming, GA
    ·