Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad smoke question

It typically takes my egg 30-45 minutes for all the VOC's to burn off and get clean smoke, even if i'm around 350-400 degrees, even when i'm using used lump with a layer of hand-placed lump on top.  Is this typical of everyone else?   Just seems like a longer time than it should take.  I typically start my fires with the "paper towel drizzled with oil" method with a high-que grate.
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    are you putting the papertowel in the lump or under the fite grate. did it last weekend under the grate thru the vent and it cleared up quickly. if the egg picks up moisture between cooks it takes the longest
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    been doing it on top of the lump... even if i did a cook the day before and there has been low humidity the next day that night it will still take a while.
    Pentwater, MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    it could be a fluke but i had cowboy lump a few inches deep, lit from the bottom and had the wings on in maybe 10 minutes last weekend, first time lighting from the bottom i used 2 paper towels that were in a can presoaked for a week with oil, it makes for a bigger fire when you light it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dave_Matthews
    Dave_Matthews Posts: 204
    It typically takes my egg 30-45 minutes for all the VOC's to burn off and get clean smoke, even if i'm around 350-400 degrees, even when i'm using used lump with a layer of hand-placed lump on top.
    I have experienced the same, and it also seems to vary on the brand of lump.  For me, Publix Greenwise takes the longest to clear, while Royal Oak is quicker.  But that is based upon a few observations, and using the fire starter squares.   I have learned the lesson however, don't put the meat on too early while the smoke is still bad!
    Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • We just bought one of those electric branding iron looking things and it works great! But still takes about 35 mins to get the coals just right, so you're all good :-)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mapp torch and Maple Leaf lump and I'm good to go in ten.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I like to let mine burn about 45 minutes to stabilize temps and burn off VOC's. When I'm egging I don't get in a hurry.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I know there is a never ending argument about "lump", and mainly due to supply, i use RO.  But i have noticed at certain times i get a bag that produces more "bad smoke" for longer periods of time.  I'm sure this has something to do with the production of the product.  Maybe you just have some bad lump??
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    edited May 2013
    Weed burner for about 1 minute. Ready to cook at any temp in 10 minutes or less.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    I used my egg for the first time this weekend.  I used the green egg charcoal, and all the bad smoke was gone in about 10-15 minutes. 
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    WGWW Charcoal and loof lighter and I'm cooking in ten minutes!!
    Brandon, MS