Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bad smoke question

It typically takes my egg 30-45 minutes for all the VOC's to burn off and get clean smoke, even if i'm around 350-400 degrees, even when i'm using used lump with a layer of hand-placed lump on top.  Is this typical of everyone else?   Just seems like a longer time than it should take.  I typically start my fires with the "paper towel drizzled with oil" method with a high-que grate.
Chicago, Illinois
·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,278
    are you putting the papertowel in the lump or under the fite grate. did it last weekend under the grate thru the vent and it cleared up quickly. if the egg picks up moisture between cooks it takes the longest
    ·
  • ShadowNickShadowNick Posts: 519
    been doing it on top of the lump... even if i did a cook the day before and there has been low humidity the next day that night it will still take a while.
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,278
    it could be a fluke but i had cowboy lump a few inches deep, lit from the bottom and had the wings on in maybe 10 minutes last weekend, first time lighting from the bottom i used 2 paper towels that were in a can presoaked for a week with oil, it makes for a bigger fire when you light it
    ·
  • Dave_MatthewsDave_Matthews Posts: 200
    It typically takes my egg 30-45 minutes for all the VOC's to burn off and get clean smoke, even if i'm around 350-400 degrees, even when i'm using used lump with a layer of hand-placed lump on top.
    I have experienced the same, and it also seems to vary on the brand of lump.  For me, Publix Greenwise takes the longest to clear, while Royal Oak is quicker.  But that is based upon a few observations, and using the fire starter squares.   I have learned the lesson however, don't put the meat on too early while the smoke is still bad!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • We just bought one of those electric branding iron looking things and it works great! But still takes about 35 mins to get the coals just right, so you're all good :-)
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,350
    Mapp torch and Maple Leaf lump and I'm good to go in ten.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • bo_mullbo_mull Posts: 336
    I like to let mine burn about 45 minutes to stabilize temps and burn off VOC's. When I'm egging I don't get in a hurry.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I know there is a never ending argument about "lump", and mainly due to supply, i use RO.  But i have noticed at certain times i get a bag that produces more "bad smoke" for longer periods of time.  I'm sure this has something to do with the production of the product.  Maybe you just have some bad lump??
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,603
    edited May 2013
    Weed burner for about 1 minute. Ready to cook at any temp in 10 minutes or less.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • n2wdwn2wdw Posts: 47
    I used my egg for the first time this weekend.  I used the green egg charcoal, and all the bad smoke was gone in about 10-15 minutes. 
    ·
  • loveTheEggloveTheEgg Posts: 445
    WGWW Charcoal and loof lighter and I'm cooking in ten minutes!!
    Brandon, MS
    ·