Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

True Cue Lump from Home Depot

Options
Now that ACE Hardware stopped carrying Weekend Warrior lump I decided to try something new so I picked up this True Cue Lump from Home Depot. I tried it tonight and was less than impressed...my guess on sizing 60% small, 40% medium/large, plenty of dust. See the picture below, I dumped it in straight from the bag, note it is smokey because I took the picture after lighting the lump. No bad odors, but the smoke never cleared up, even had the dome up to 500 and it just pumped out the smoke. I went ahead and grilled some burgers, they tasted ok if you like very smokey burgers. The smokey taste was probably oak, but that is just a guess on my part, not bad but strong. I will use up the bag but won't buy more in the future, to many small pieces and to much smoke for me.

Comments

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    Good info....is that a rock on the top just right of center?    I'd be pretty disappointed to get pieces that small, I wonder if the bag was beat around by an employee at the store of if that is the regular quality of their lump?
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options
    Thank you for the report.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Thanks for the review.  I might have been tempted.  In an attempt to branch out I tried the Publix brand, but found it had too many small pieces.  Have gone happily back to BGE Lump...I am willing to pay a bit more for the consistent product.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Tried one bag it was okay but there are better deals
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for posting... and taking one for the team. I wondered about it too, but figured it wouldn't be that great.

Where do you live in NC? Folks may be able to chime in with locally available alternatives.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    Options
    DIXIEDOG said:
    Good info....is that a rock on the top just right of center?    I'd be pretty disappointed to get pieces that small, I wonder if the bag was beat around by an employee at the store of if that is the regular quality of their lump?

No rocks, but it does look like me in the picture.
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for posting... and taking one for the team. I wondered about it too, but figured it wouldn't be that great.

Where do you live in NC? Folks may be able to chime in with locally available alternatives.

I am not in NC anymore, moved to central FL last year.