Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for DigiQ owners, current and former...

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432
Was going to stick to vegetables and fruit this whole weekend (trying to lose 10 more lbs) but I clicked on too many brisket threads today, so the last brisket I could find after visiting two different grocers is now on the Large, w00t!  

However, right now I'm really, really disappointed with my Maverick.  After only three or four uses the meat probe quit working.  I switched to my Poulder and didn't order another probe for the ET-732 for quite awhile (they're kind've pricey).  But, this last winter I finally got one, and used it for the first time today.  Now, the other probe (barbeque interior) isn't working!!  Gah!  I've always ensured the probe leads exited the Egg over a leg of the platesetter, and never immersed them in liquid.  I've noticed too that the 1/8" connectors that plug into the transmitter are extremely cheap, and sometimes I have to wiggle the plug to get contact.  I take care of my things; this is unacceptable for something that's seen less than a half-dozen uses, especially for the asking price.  

So, what does this have to do with a DigiQ?  I really like the idea of a controller that regulates the heat for me, and am especially interested in the new model that is battery-powered and doesn't send info back to me, it just takes care of business.  I do few enough "low-und-slows" that the battery cost is no issue.  With already owning the Maverick I couldn't justify the cost of the DigiQ also; however, I'm about ready to toss the Maverick into the trash.  So my question to DigiQ owners: how's the reliability been?  Anyone have theirs break, or act intermittently?  Anyone give up and toss theirs in the trash?  

I'd like to have one, but I don't want to throw good money after bad if its built as cheaply as the Maverick.  Since getting the High-Q grate my temperature control has been cake (the Large has settled on 220 right now, and I'm using the Maverick "food-side-only" tonight just in case my flat finishes before the sun rises).  Would appreciate any input, both good and bad; thanks!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335

I had a "maverick" as well, and it was the BGE brand.  It finally got to the point we could not trust it to be accurate, AND if it got to above 300 degrees it would error out.  That happened from about the time that we bought it.  It was very disappointing considering the 80 dollar price tag. 

I've upgraded to the DigiQ (in fact have ribs smoking at 275 now under it's watch) and love it.  It works, it's accurate, and you can leave it and not worry about temp spikes or your fire going out.  I'm a fan though I realize thats a big money jump for an item. 

Best of luck with your cooking :) 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    First thing to do is go back and read the "Maximum Temperature Limitations" on all your past prbe cables.  The DigiQ is going to be a whole heck of a lot higher, and the replacement probes are going to be just as pricey as the cheap ones!!  You need to protect the probe ends and probe cables that extend innside your egg, plus be careful to route them to prevent them from being exposed to direct heat from the lump bed.  I went through three different temperature monitors very quickly, so i went for a DigiQ!  It worked great -----  until i burnt up a set of probes after two months!  From that point, i studied many different probe ratings and found most of them were close to each other!!!  So i wrapped both my new($26.00) probe cables in two layers of foil and am very careful were they enter the egg so that they are protected from direct heat!!  No problem for two years, and was suprised that the foil stays on the cable and i have only changed it twice.  I have learnt to cook most of my products by knowing what my egg will do, but i have the "low and slow" cooks that i use my DigiQ.  Set it and forget it -- go to the store, do whatever.  I turbo cook, so no overnight cooks for me, but some of my day cooks allow me to do other things and let my controller watch my egg.  I wouldn't use the Wifi. so that feature is useless to me. 
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I have one also. My first low and slow the temperature got higher then set because I didn't close the damper on the DigiQ to about 1/4 open. I left it open and it drew air thru the opening and allowed the temp to get a little high. This last time I set it and allowed it to take over and it did great. As long as you put enough charcoal in the pit there is no worrying. I think the price is a little high but peace of mind is great.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    grEGGorys said:
    I have one also. My first low and slow the temperature got higher then set because I didn't close the damper on the DigiQ to about 1/4 open. I left it open and it drew air thru the opening and allowed the temp to get a little high. This last time I set it and allowed it to take over and it did great. As long as you put enough charcoal in the pit there is no worrying. I think the price is a little high but peace of mind is great.

I have never adjusted the the damper on my DigiQ - it came fully open and thats were it is today, been using it for three years.  But i learnt something on my last cook!!  I usually set my "low and slow" at 225 degrees, and it will s-l-o-w-l-y creep up to 270 degrees and then after an hour slowly lower down to 225 degrees.  This period of time, exposing the meat to a maximum amount of smoke, is critical to the taste of the pork!!  This last cook, i lowered the setpoint to 205 degrees.  It came up and stabilized at 205 and stayed there for four hours, until i reached the (160 degree) foil point of the cook and i increased the cooking temperature to 300 degrees.

• rdmudd
    rdmudd Posts: 24
    Go for it!!  I have the DigiQ and the CyberQ and both have been very reliable.  Nothing like a good nights rest while the DigiQ is doing its' thing. 
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    I have a DigiQ and although I have not used it much, I have been pretty amazed at how well it regulates the temp. I am very happy so far.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have sold both my DigiQ and my PartyQ. Could not get to work ( this from someone who can't work an ATM). I found Turbo and had no need of them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Buy either one of them and you will love it. I've never done all those things to protect the wires and I've used it a lot in the last year, so maybe I better start.
  • bobbymcG
    bobbymcG Posts: 13
    Mickey said:
    Have sold both my DigiQ and my PartyQ. Could not get to work ( this from someone who can't work an ATM). I found Turbo and had no need of them.
    Do you have a link for that product, Mickey?
  • dberg71
    dberg71 Posts: 1
    I have the DigiQ DX2. Set pit at 225 and meat at 195. Go to bed and 15 hours later its perfect. Love this device and best money spent for worry free egging.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I've had my DigiQ Dx2 for 3+ years and haven't had any issues. I know @mrcookingnurse just got a Party Q and seems to like it.  

@bobbymcG @Mickey uses the "turbo method" of cooking indirect at a higher temperature so there is no need to have overnight cooks. Here is one of his posts Baby Back Turbo Ribs. (Nope I will never go back)
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bobbymcG
    bobbymcG Posts: 13
    @Solson005 thanks! i will look into that. seems like another one of those deep, contemplative Egg decisions i must make. currently wondering whether to Woo or Spider.
  • cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    I have a Party Q as well, and have used it successfully on two overnighters....perfect performance!

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have a woo for my small egg and the spider for my large, I love both of them, but the woo lives in my small and I have yet to cook without it. I actually bought the woo before I got the egg!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Woo2 Combo for my XL and a Spider for my medium. CGS is the best for extending the usefulness of the egg.  I also have a DigiQ2 and when I got the second Egg I went for the CyberQ that I remote connected to my laptop.  All were great investments and I highly recommend them!  Also with BBQ Guru, if you have any issues their customer service is excellent.  I had a faulty probe, called and had a great response and a new probe the next day, though I do live in the same state so that could account for the next day delivery.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Also with BBQ Guru, if you have any issues their customer service is excellent.  I had a faulty probe, called and had a great response and a new probe the next day, though I do live in the same state so that could account for the next day delivery.
    That may have just tipped the scales for me.  Thanks for the replies, folks!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    I used the digi1 and have upgraded in the past couple years to the digi2. Everything on the digi1 lasted several years before I upgraded to digi2. When I upgraded I replaced the probes because I pretty much destroyed them. Not their fault. And I really liked the upgrades they made tot the digi2. And I'm still using the fan today from my digi1. Customer service the best in the business and they bend over backwards to make you happy. I have no doubt I will be digi3 customer when it comes out someday. Love their product and ease of use.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    When the heck is some company going to wake up and build a controller with Type K thermocouples like used on the 8060.  I am quite sure even though it might be a bit more pricy,  many eggers would purchase it for the reliability factor alone.  Thermoworks are you listening???
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • phoenix007
    phoenix007 Posts: 49
    I love my DigiQ! I had sticker shock initially too...but let me tell you, "set it and forget it" is really nice. You won't regret it and good luck.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    When the heck is some company going to wake up and build a controller with Type K thermocouples like used on the 8060.  I am quite sure even though it might be a bit more pricy,  many eggers would purchase it for the reliability factor alone.  Thermoworks are you listening???

Oohhh....I don't know what you're talking about. But it makes me all tingly ;-)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]