Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini or small??

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Right now I have a medium egg which is plenty big for the small crew I have around. But sometimes it seems wasteful when I am just tossing on a couple chicken breasts or a steak just for me. I've never seen a mini in person. Do you think this is too small to do the job? Would I be better off with a small? Actually I've been told to just to out and get the mini, small, and large since I'll end up with them all anyway![p]Thanks!

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S10_02_9914_35_11.jpg
    <p />MollyShark, I don't have a mini, small or large - however, after watching the posts for the last several months, the medium sounds like it does it all - ate least for the small family - except for the portability on the mini or the large cooking surface of the large - consider...
    1) doesn't burn much fuel
    2) will quickly reach 800-1000 degrees dome temp
    3) will cook at 180-200 degrees (even in the winter) for 20+ hours on 1 load of lump
    4) makes a great picture![p]Life is GOOD![p]

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    MollyShark, you may as well go ahead and get a Big one. Your cooking will get better and better since you are visiting the forum, and your gang will grow by leaps and bounds due to word of mouth and the cooking smell you will be injecting into the surrounding area. I'm thinking about getting another Big one. My guest list just keeps growing. Where do all these people come from anyway? You'd think I hit the Lottery or something.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]We have a large and a small EGG. I cook for two most of the time and use both EGGs equally. I haven't noticed that one heats faster than the other, but can offer that the small uses less lump to do the same job and the large is easier to regulate the dome temperature.[p]The big advantage of owning a second cooker is the ability to have differing cooks (temp and smoke) going at the same time (one does appetizers while the other is making the main course, etc). Our small is quite portable and has over 2300 miles of travel.[p]I bought the large first and added the small much for the same reasons you stated. We haven't regreted either purchase. I hope to win the mini at EggFest2000. I hear that it makes great steaks :).[p]Spin[p]
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    00_00029.JPG
    <p />MollyShark,[p] If you are cooking just for yourself on the odd occasion,
    you will find the mini a great choice. I will lite my mini
    & bring the temp up to 650F with no problems at all. This
    picture is to give you an idea as to how much you can place
    on the grill at one time. It is also very handy to packup
    & travel with.

Earl

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Earl,[p]Wow, great picture! I've been talking about getting a mini for some time now and this is great help in seeing exactly how much food we can expect to fit on it. I'm now thinking of getting a Large instead (I know, two completely different things, but why not). Like Spin, I plan on winning the mini at E2K :)[p]Cornfed
  • Earl,[p]Everytime I see this photo it looks like the mini is preparing to land on the moon. Sure beats the hell out of Tang!

• Spin
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]You will love the large. Much more room and longer cooking times. BTW - I like the character your EGG has taken on since its reincarnation. The Force is definitely strong in it :).[p]Spin
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Spin,[p]Thanks! That's about the best compliment an Egg can get! I started REALLY wanting a Large after hearing so many (yourself included) talk about the great combo that a Small and Large make. Also, I'm hoping to move out of my apartment and into a house soon. I don't think I'd be able to move into a new house knowing what I know now without a Large BGE for the porch/deck![p]We'll see. If I'm closer on the house decision by April, I may go for the discounted "cooked on once" Larges used at E2K. Who knows, maybe I can even get it autographed by the artist who creates with it that day...[p]Cornfed
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Earl:[p]Neat stand! So where can I get one?

• Earl
    Options
    Cornfed,[p] Just remember, large Egg, large pieces, small egg, smaller
    pieces. Your choice. Sorry couldn't resist Hee Hee.[p] Earl

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Earl, your forgot - medium egg, medium pieces! Have a great evening!

• Spin
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]A one day cooked on EGG is a new EGG with some character added. BGE offered a great deal on the ones used at EGGtoberFest99. We send our best to you on your possible move and look forward to meeting you at E2K.[p]Spin

• Earl
    Options
    djm5x9,[p] Hi Darryl, I got the stand from the Egg people sometime ago
    They may not have any left at this time. Call Larry.
    Had a great time getting it on the plane to bring home.
    Try to explain to customs what it was for.
    It's for a Egg to sit in, sure thing buster, now strip.

Earl

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Earl,[p]I have never seen that type of stand before. Is it home made or store bought??[p]Send some snow down here too please.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Earl,[p]Sorry Earl, Darryl and I had the same thought - I should have read his post first. It is a neat stand - That Larry comes up with some different stuff sometimes.[p]Tim
  • Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    Options
    King-o-Coals,[p]You have![p]Bryan

• Elder Ward
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I have been kind of busy lately and don't remember seeing your name before so just wanted to welcome you to the family. [p]I own a large so am not much help on this question. I just have to have a mini as my next Egg.[p]Elder Ward