Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hunk of Cow

Grillmagic
Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

Hi everyone,

I have a 10 pound New York Strip and I am planning on cooking it whole, any thoughts.

I have cooked several like this on my gasser cooking direct at 350 and they always turn out great so the pressure is on to pull off a winner on the egg.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you were happy with the result on a gasser the egg is only going to make it better. You might want to drop the temp to 325. I always find that since the egg is a convection cooker you are safer to use a bit lower temp. You could cook at 250* with an end sear as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you are cooking direct, an Egg is hotter than most gassers. Most of the heat is being put out in IR, which cooks more effectively than hot gasses. As @LittleSteven says, 325. And because the IR effect becomes much stronger w. distance, cooking at the felt level should reduce the chance of burnt spots. At the fire ring level, the temp will be closer to 600.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Check out www.amazingribs.com- they have a great prime rib/rib roast recipe I have used before and it turned out really great. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you
    Greensboro, NC
  • Grillmagic

Thanks for your early replies, I am undecided on cooking it direct or not, that's just the way I have done them in the past on my gas grill. I need to have it ready by 5:30 so I have some time before I start cooking and will be checking back often.

Thanks

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Wolfpack said:
    Check out www.amazingribs.com- they have a great prime rib/rib roast recipe I have used before and it turned out really great. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you

+ 1.  Trust us.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Grillmagic

I just read the method on www.amazingribs.com Thanks for the info Wolfpack and Foghorn.

I'm giving this a try today, should I do platesetter legs up drip pan and grill grate? I was thinking of getting dome temp settled in at 250

My family loves the food I have made on the egg.

• Wolfpack
    Yes- just make sure you have an air gap between the drip pan and plate setter. Some tin foil balls do the trick for me. Yes dome of 250-275.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Grillmagic

Thanks Wolfpack, I am new to the egg world what's the need for the air gap.

Thanks

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Drip pan is optional.  By "grill grate" I assume you mean the standard BGE grate?  Or are you talking about a GrillGrate?

http://www.grillgrate.com/

It probably shouldn't matter either way if you keep the temp low - but I'd go with the standard grate.

The only other thing to watch out for is to remember that it is always OK to end the low temp part of the cook early (at say 105-110) because it will rise another 5 - 10 degrees after you take if off.  But if you end it late you'll overcook your meat when you do the sear (even if you do it in an effort to achieve perfection - don't ask me how I know)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Grillmagic

Hey Foghorn, yes standard BGE grate, the only reason I was considering the drip pan was for easy clean up.

Thanks for replying!

• Wolfpack
    I usually do a drip pan because you can get a burnt smell/taste from fat burning on the plate setter. The air gap prevents the same thing happening in your drip pan
    Greensboro, NC
  • Grillmagic
    Well that's done, in fact it was a little over done. I thought it would take me 3 to 4 hours indirect 250 dome and I was off by a hour and a half, I checked it about 75 minutes into the cook and it was already at 120 so I pulled it and foiled it then put it back on a hour later direct at 500 for 5 minutes a side and pulled it at 140 and it went to 150 med. I have a lot to learn, it tasted good but I'm a rare guy.
  • Little Steven

If you were really at 250* it should have looked rare regardless of the temp. This was cooked to 140* intentionally.

DSC_0008-2 photo DSC_0008-2-1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grillmagic

Hey Little Steven,

I bounced around 250/275 Dome and I have checked my thermometer and believe it's correct. It was a weird shaped strip (very thin) it looked more like slab bacon in size, the thickest part was around 2 and 1/2 to 3 inches thick. It sure didn't look like your picture, you win. I'm learning.

Thanks for your input, I will be back at it this weekend.

Chuck

• Little Steven
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry! I had forgotten that you had a strip loin. I guess because you were getting recipe responses for rib roasts. Still, it should have looked a little more red throughout.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    I just re-read your post. You said you foiled it. Was that loosely tented or wrapped up?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grillmagic
    Tented on a cutting board, Our meal was planned for another 90 minutes and I thought that would be the best way to hold it till I put it back on the grill for a quick sear and reheat.
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Could you have cut the 500 degree sear time down to a minute or 2 per side?  That's typically what I do when reverse searing something.. That might have kept you in the 125 - 130 range.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Little Steven
    Tented on a cutting board, Our meal was planned for another 90 minutes and I thought that would be the best way to hold it till I put it back on the grill for a quick sear and reheat.
    I'm betting the double heat/rest cycle is what drove your temps up. You cooked to 120* carryover cooked to 130* reheated to 140* and carryover cooked to 150*. If you had pulled the meat at say 115*, knocked the vents open and 5 minutes later and seared you would have only had one carryover of about 10* so you would have finished around 135*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grillmagic
    Thanks Little Steven, I think I messed up by holding it tented for over a hour waiting for our guests to arrive. I'm trying a 12 pound Turkey this weekend.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I think the other issue is the thickness of the meat. For rib roasts, I remove the bones and tie the roast to get it round. A 4 pound roast will cook in the same time as a 10 pound as the 10 pounder is just longer, not thicker. It is the thickness that counts. 
    If we only cooked meat shaped like a ball, cook time will increase linearly with weight and diameter. This does not work with non-sperical pieces.
    Strip loins are the hardest to get right in my opinion. The thickness can vary, but assuming it was only 2-3 inches, 60-90 minutes at 250 indirect would easily bring you to 115 internal. Hold and then sear. I think that;s what your experience proved. 
    Amazing Ribs also has a good explanation of thickness and cook time.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

If you were really at 250* it should have looked rare regardless of the temp. This was cooked to 140* intentionally.

DSC_0008-2 photo DSC_0008-2-1.jpg

i almost stuck a knife in the monitor....that really looks GOOD!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Check this out for your turkey - It's awesome!!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI