Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question

Options
dweebs0r
dweebs0r Posts: 539
Since I cant get my brisket thread to post for some reason, I will post a question.  I cooked a 11.5 lb packer brisket last night at 250 dome (265 grid).  Pulled it off this morning with an IT of about 203.  Probe went in and out like butter.  I foiled and wrapped this and have it resting in a cooler.

When should I separate the point and flat?  How do I prepare the "burnt ends"?

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I have never done burnt ends since I love the point as is. If you want to do them, separate the point and cube it up. Then, hit all the cubes with rub and your favorite sauce. Toss back em back on the egg. Time and temp...I don't know, but someone will chime in on that.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    This is my first packer.  I have cooked a flat before and wasnt happy with the results.  I havent been able to find these at my local butcher shops.  Found this baby sitting on the shelf at Walmart of all places.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    If its your first packer, I would suggest to save some of the point (if not all) to enjoy as is. I've cooked numerous packers, and I don't think I can bring myself to making burnt ends out of the point.

Glad you found one. What time are you planning on serving it?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
    I gave burnt ends this weekend, I just cut it off when I pulled it, then cubed it and sauced it. Put it on at 300 or so and cooked them for 2 hrs. Turned out pretty good. Hope this helps.