Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mem Day 2 - Meatlover's Calzones.

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Originally I had planned to do ribs on Sunday from Wicked Good Barbecue, Dyal_SC used to post awesome calzone pics on our old board and now here. I always wanted to try my hand at calzones so here was the perfect opportunity.

I am including the pictures of making up a batch of  the BGE Cookbook's Pizza Dough recipe so folks can see how easy it is to do. You don't need a stand mixer. You can easily knead most dough recipes by hand. Some people actually like hand kneading better-they find it relaxing or soothing. 

For those who are interested here is the picture post of my Saturday cook: All-American Double Bison Cheeseburgers.

Onto the pix.

The ingredients are gathered: All purpose flour, sugar, instant yeast, olive oil, water & salt. I use the Kitchen scale to weigh the all-purpose flour out right in the mixing bowl. My iPad is in a protective sleeve & I have the recipe up on screen using the iBooks version of the BGE Cookbook.

The warm water sugar & instant yeast are combined in a small bowl & sit for 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile the salt is added to the flour & they are stirred on the "Stir" setting to mix.

The bowl with the yeast & wet ingredients is added to the mixing bowl & the ingredients are stirred on low to combine.

Once the ingredients are combined the olive oil is added.

After the olive oil is added, the dough is kneaded on low for 5-6 minutes. At this point the dough is allowed to rise for about 1 1/2 hours until it has doubled in size.

The dough is now almost done it's rise. Time to get started. Some diced red pepper & white onion are sauteed until they are softened.

The ingredients are all gathered: Pepperoni, imported ham, the sauteed red pepper  & white onions. some herb flavored pasta sauce, a 3-cheese Italian cheese blend, Genoa salami, ricotta cheese, olive oil & kosher salt.

The dough is deflated & cut into 4 equal sized pieces. I needed two for my purposes. I refrigerated the other two wrapped in plastic wrap sprayed with a little oil. The two other dough balls get rolled out into a 12" diameter circle.

The BGE Calzone Press is placed over the dough round & the bottom side has a sharp edge which is used to cut out the piece of dough for the calzone.

The dough round is placed inside the calzone press.

Having all the ingredients portioned out & ready to go allows you to make quick work of assembling the calzones...

...The ricotta cheese goes on first. Note that you only use one half of the press to hold the ingredients & stop at the hinge line...

...the pepperoni goes on next...

...followed by the imported ham...

...the last meat is the Genoa salami...

...the sauteed onions & red bell peppers are next...

...which gets sprinkled with the Italian seasoning blend...

...& the last topping is the 3-cheese Italian cheese blend. The next step is to seal up the calzone. The edge of the dough was moistened to help hold things together & the press was folded over to seal the calzone.

The calzone is out of the press & had been brushed with olive oil & slit with a knife. It is on a pizza peel which has been dusted with corn oil.

The first calzone is one the BGE. I used separate peels for each calzone to make landing them easier and more controlled. The Egg has been heated to 450 for 30 minutes. The BGE pizza stone is set on some 1/2" plumbing shims which are on the plate setter which is installed legs down.

I am glad I checked on the calzones early. The recipe said 15-20 minutes, but when I looked in at around 13 minutes they were essentially done.

Time to eat!

I am glad I checked on these a little early. The crusts were just the way I wanted them. They had a nice little crispy snap in them when you bit in.

IMHO the only way I might have improved on these particular calzones would be to make my own sauce, something I will try when I have more time.

It is fun knowing I can whip up some tasty calzones on the Egg now whenever I want. I have my eye on a lamb calzone recipe to try next. 

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Holy crap....

This is the model by which cooking blogs should be measured... Outstanding work once again Jim!

Great looking cook, results, and post...

Makes me want to delete my blog ;)

Seriously, thanks for sharing :)
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Jim,

Nice looking calzones bud!  I always look forward to your posts both on the old board and this one :)   Much prefer this one :)
    Large BGE

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great looking calzone Jim. Nice detail as always!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    That looks great! Thanks for all the details. That will make trying these very easy. And by the way, the lamb calzone sounds like a must see. That sounds pretty dang awesome too.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
    Very nice. Well done.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks great Jim! Adding calzones to my to do list.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    As always Awesome!!!!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Wow! That looks outstanding. Your posts are the gold standard on here for storytelling. Curious how you liked the calzone press and if you think it's worth the obey. Sure looks like it made things easy.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their most kind remarks.
    ...Curious how you liked the calzone press and if you think it's worth the obey. Sure looks like it made things easy.

@BuckeyeBob The book is still out on the calzone press actually. At $11.99 I'm not out a lot of money, so I am not gonna lose sleep over it. My "problem" may actually be user error. The Likes: I like how it cuts the dough round out for you and how the dough doesn't seem to stick to it. The finished calzone releases well from it and It is easy to clean. My problem is with the edges of the calzone. 2 out of 3 times when I go to open the press the edges of the crust don't seem to stay "glued" together. I do brush them with water, so I may not be putting the proper amount of water on the edge of the crust before I fold it over.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Calzones are one of my favorites on egg thanks to Dyal. Pack them full of ricotta. Good eats. Nice post Jim.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Awesome cook.  Thanks for sharing.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    I love the step by step photos. Great job. I gotta try this.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Ooooh! That looks so good. Love Italian food. Great job on the food photography. Thank you.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    It's 10am and I want one! Great cook.
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Options
    Your cooks are always fantastic!  Hungry and envious every time I see one.  Was curious if you considered putting some of the sauce inside the calzone and let it heat up with all of the other ingredients.
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks as always for the kind remarks...
    pwg56 said:
    ...Was curious if you considered putting some of the sauce inside the calzone and let it heat up with all of the other ingredients.

I did consider putting some of the sauce inside. I looked at a bunch of recipes to see what fillings were used and also to get an idea of how much of what fillings. To my surprise very few of the recipes put any of the sauce on the inside. I do plan to try that though, just to see if I notice a difference.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    jfm0830 said:
    Thanks as always for the kind remarks...
    pwg56 said:
    ...Was curious if you considered putting some of the sauce inside the calzone and let it heat up with all of the other ingredients.

I did consider putting some of the sauce inside. I looked at a bunch of recipes to see what fillings were used and also to get an idea of how much of what fillings. To my surprise very few of the recipes put any of the sauce on the inside. I do plan to try that though, just to see if I notice a difference.
    i always understood calzones were dipped/smothered in sauce, Stromboli have sauce on the inside.  i could be wrong however