Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your Opinions for a Second Egg

Options
Hi All,

I want to expand my family.  I currently have a LBGE, and am jonesing to add a second.  Generally, I'm cooking for 2 people, as we are now empty nesters.  That said, I like to cook the protein and vegetable simultaneously.  Would you suggest a medium or small egg, and why?

Thanks.
Todd
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I have a large and my next one will definitely be small. Hopefully I will get it sooner rather than later.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I would suggest the small if you are typically cooking for two people and have any inkling of going mobile. I have all three and the Medium is my "every day" egg which is used for a family of 2 adults and 1 elementary school aged child. My nearly one year old loves veggies that have been grilled and pureed, just now getting to the point where she is eating solid food that doesn't melt in her mouth.

For a normal cook for just me and SWMBO the Small is plenty and honestly if you are looking to cook for just the two of you the mini is a completely viable option unless both of you are putting away 24 oz steaks all the time.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I am leaning towards a second large so I can share the accessories. Either that; or I'm gonna go for(or become) broke and get an XL...

I guess it all depends on what your average cooks are and the volume you need...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think you should ask yourself whether you need a small vs. mini egg.

If you are cooking for 2 usually, and don't expect to travel much with your egg (few times a year?), where you will be cooking for more than 2 people, then buy the small. Also take into account how much you can lift - I think the small weighs 70 lbs or so.

If you will be travelling with your egg frequently, cooking for 4 but not too many more folks, don't want to lift much weight, then the mini is for you. You can cook a lot of food on a mini.

Just my $0.02 worth.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    I would like some mobility, so I can clearly see the advantage with a small.  I wasn't thinking about the expense of re-eggcesorizing, so @hapster you have a great point.   

Why can't this be easier?  :-)

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    @caliking, pardon my idiotic question, but how can you cook for 4 on a mini?  I figured that would be good for 2 steaks and not much more.  I'm guessing I'm way off base, but help me here.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    TEggSun said:

@caliking, pardon my idiotic question, but how can you cook for 4 on a mini?  I figured that would be good for 2 steaks and not much more.  I'm guessing I'm way off base, but help me here.

1 large schrimp for each dinner.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Totally agree with @hapster if you are cooking a bunch at a time to get a second large so you can share accessories. I'm terrible about pre planning meals and the wife doesn't eat leftovers more then once or twice per cook.  So typically I only cook for the night I am cooking and one or two days in advance.

If you only want to cook once a week and don't care about mobility, get another large or a medium. If you want to cook 3-5 times a week look at one of the smaller options.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    I thinking of a second one also. I cook for 5-7 sometimes and 1-2 the rest. If the neighbors smell the cooking I might have more to cook for. I hear a large and small is the best combo. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2013
    Options
    You sound like you want a small, go for it.

As for the Mini its my only egg now feeds 4 , 2 are little ones. 2 lbs of rib eye is plenty, did 4 smaller burgers yesterday with dogs that followed. 5.5 lb pork butt fed us for 2 days earlier this week.

You get creative, if that means putting stuff on warm in the oven for 10 mins while the next batch cooks so be it. Fed 6 yesterday doing that.
    Besides, its good portion control, heavy eaters might want to size up.... In more ways than one. ( I was once 300 + , those days are long gone)

That being said I may have a large come egg fest in a few weeks.
    Seattle, WA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Most skip a size, large and small, medium and XL, etc,,,
    We have a medium and are empty nesters as well, great for the two of us, lots of room, easy on lump, and can handle meat part of entree for a larger crowd. If you need portability, the small or mini, if not I'd go with a medium. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I am with @cazzy and think the small / large combo is the way to go. I travel with my small weekly and cook for dinner parties all the time. Almost every cook my small is filled up. I have a eggcarten to help transport it and love that as well. Just getting a woo and a pizza stone are all the eggcessories I have with the small (until the swing rack comes out for it.) and I highly recommend it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    Options
    Large and medium works for me. Plenty of room for veggies.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    Also empty nesters , Have a large and small with Egg Carten. Will be takening small Florida in RV this winter.
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Large with a small. Or if you want to really "green" go mini.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    The Mini is perfect for empty nesters. I use it way more often than my LBGE. Low and slow cooks are always on the LBGE, of course.

If you get a Mini, get an EggCarten to put it in. You will love it.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We have a large, small and mini. The large is mainly used for large cooks, holidays or family gathering. The mini and the small are used daily (the kitchen oven has been turned twice this year). The amount of food that can be cooked on the mini and the small is more than enough to feed the two of us with plenty of leftovers.
    The big bonus is the mini is very portable so we take it with us when we travel. Go with small first then expand to mini...word of advice don't waste your money on a plate setter for the small, Woo and pizza stones much more versatile, just MHO
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx