Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RV WSM

Options
Hi all... have a question and would appreciate any feedback.  I have a RV / horse trailer, tag along, 26', nicely set up with Liv Quarters.  I would ideally get another egg for my excursions, but I don't think the traveling  would be kind to the ceramics, and also there's the ramp I would have to wheel the egg down to ground.  So... looked at a WSM today and they have an 18" and a 22".  When I use the trailer, I  generally do cooks for 4-8 people, we all rotate, and I am asking input for the two sizes.  The dealer told me today that most of those that went for the 22", later said they should have had the smaller 18"; basically
cause of charcoal usage.

Second question.. I use the CG adj rig in my eggs, and they measure 17.5 " OD, which should fit in the WSM.  Any input on how the AR might work in the 18" WSM.???
(2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)

Comments

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Hi Charlie... did you mean I should get the 22",and forget the AR??? or maybe modify the 22" so that the AR can nest in.   Or just forget the AR, and use the extra grate setup weber has??
    Thanks for your reply..
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

I cooked on a 22" WSM for many years.  Knowing what i do now i would modify a method to cook high in the WSM unit and cook with lump --  indirect by offsetting the lump to one side of the kettle on anything "low and slow", and then the standard setup for normal direct cooks.

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    So...I am understanding that you are saying the WSM might have an issue with, indirect, stones, etc??   Come to think of it, I don't know if the WSM can deal with the stones..maybe too much heat deflected around the sides.  I was picturing the CG AR up high, might have to install some more support points, just askin..  I'm sorry, dont know what you are saying about offsetting.
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    Options
    I have an 18" wsm and it will cook a ton of food. Should work great for camping. Reason I never got rid of mine.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    How many people do you cook for when you camp? I have a small egg that I originally bought for camping and now take it over to friends houses for dinner parties almost weekly. Nothing like being able to crank out some egg'd food while away from your big egg. 

Not trying to discourage you from getting a wsm but since you have to buy one you might look into a smaller egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited May 2013
    Options

My "travel grill" is a Napolean ASK 300 (before it was imported under the name Napoleon it was sold under the name of the manufacturer - ProQ).  It has two 20" cooking surfaces if you take the whole grill.  Depending on your needs you can take less of the grill on any given trip by removing a section in the middle.  It all latches together and can be easily lifted by the handle on the top.  It does a good job with low and slow and hot grilling. 

Apollo™ has 3 layers for convenient charcoal grilling and smoking

I can't say it would be better than a WSM as many people have given both of them excellent reviews.  If you need to maximize space you can get a 22" WSM and a swing grate as I believe there is one to fit it. 

Nothing this thin will be as easy to use as an egg.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    @Foghorn - not on topic but I noticed you have a Klose pit. I almost had one built but decided on the Egg mainly due to space problems. My back yard is all pool and flower beds. U still use it much?

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Griller
    Griller Posts: 88
    Options
    I have a motorhome and intended to use my mini egg for our campouts. Like yourself, I was concerned about the ceramic getting damaged as we bounce on down the road. I strongly considered a WSM but decided against it for a couple of reasons that may/may not apply to your set up. 1). I live in Texas and we have camp ground burn bans frequently from May to September 2). I do feel like I need to be next to my cooker since there is an open flame and while I'm usually happy to do that, I may also want to do the camping stuff (hiking/exploring/beach time/etc.) 3). There is more set up and tear down to prevent ash from getting all over the place inside the belly of my motorhome when stowed. 

Ultimately, I went with this: http://smokintex.com/1100.html

While I'm generally not a big fan of electric smokers, this one has served us well cooking ribs, turkeys, and whole chickens. I also have lump coal and my own fire grates so that I can grill at the camp grounds or I use my little WebberQ propane grill if a burn ban is in effect.

I would've loved to have figured out an eloquent travel solution for a BGE but it just didn't work out. Be sure to post what you decide to go with!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Springram said:
    @Foghorn - not on topic but I noticed you have a Klose pit. I almost had one built but decided on the Egg mainly due to space problems. My back yard is all pool and flower beds. U still use it much?

Springram
    Spring, Texas

Interestingly, I bought it after I bought my egg - just because I still wasn't 100% sure that the egg was as good as a smoker.  I figured a lot of Texans produce a lot of great BBQ on high quality offset smokers.  So, I got it off Craigslist for about 70% off the retail price.  At this point I still don't know which produces better meat as I've had great results on both (and on my other grills/smokers as well).  I do know that the egg does it with a lot less effort.  The Klose has a lot more room.  Obviously, I never use the Klose during the week, but on weekends I use it about 1/2 as much as I use the egg.  There are some days when my son and I want to do a little more work and spend more time playing with fire - and the Klose allows/demands us to do it. 

However, I can't really say that I ever have a "need" to use the Klose - unless I want to cook for the masses.  It holds 20 racks of ribs pretty easily.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX