Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the Maverick 732 always right? Help!

My dome temp with the thermometer that came with the egg says 200 and the maverick is saying 358. Is the Maverick always right? I don't see anything about recalibrating the Maverick in the instructions. The butts have been on about an hour and have gone from 33 to 63.I am hoping the dome thermometer is just broken. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Grillin_G_Ma
    Grillin_G_Ma Posts: 102
    Discovered problem. Dome thermometer was only at 150. It was sticking into a butt. Pulled it out further and it agrees with Maverick. Silly newbie mistake!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Glad you figured it out! You will see several people use a spacer on the outside so they avoid this exact problem.

@Mickey has a great picture showing his! ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    You can always boil a pot of water and stick the maverick probes in. If they register 212 you are all set and accurate.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited May 2013
    Quick question, how are you storing your electronics? I noticed that my first set of temp probes and controllers didn't last more than 6 months because I stored them in my shed with the rest of my bbq equipment. Since I've bought new ones I keep them in the house. They've lasted for more than a year now and work perfectly.

It might just be a coincidence, but I can't imagine a shed that gets hot as fire the summer an cold as ice in the winter was good for them.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Her maverick was accurate folks. Her dome thermo was stuck into the meat, which was caused her dome thermo to drop by a few degrees.

Great suggestion to store her maverick in doors!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....