Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cracked LBGE Base

Wow, was I surprised to see a crack going from the bottom of my LBGE through the two screws that hold on the lower vent and up the side a ways while I was out cooking tonight. Looked on the back of the egg and found another crack. How the heck does ceramic that thick, sitting peacefully in the outdoor kitchen just crack? I will call BGE tomorrow, hope the warranty process works!

• tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    I bet they treat you right.
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • atbarratbarr Posts: 26
    Please post a follow up on this.
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    Sorry for your loss...but most prob covered, strange crack tho..
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Randy1Randy1 Posts: 373
    I just had the same experience ( not in the same place). They assured me it was covered and ordered a replacement. A pain to be sure ,but they will take care of it.
  • BillPinNCBillPinNC Posts: 68
    I did some email with the BGE warranty folks, sent in some pictures of the cracked base and fire ring. Got an email back approving the warranty replacement. Went to my local BGE store today with the email. They ordered the parts, should be delivered tomorrow with their regular shipment. So far a pleasant experience!
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,240
    Emailed pictures of my LBGE base crack. Have yet to hear back from BGE.

Based on their reputation, a little surprised to say the least.
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,801
    BillPinNC said:
     So far a pleasant experience!
    Good to hear!  Only thing I've had replaced is my charcoal grate. I've been lucky on all the ceramics so far.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,030
    @hapster, contact your dealer. We t them a picture and email pat Thursday and picked up my new base today. Need to tear off the brand new gasket that came on the new base. Dome has no gasket so Ill be putting on a Rutland
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BillPinNCBillPinNC Posts: 68
    I picked up and installed the new base. The old base was cracked all the way across the bottom, a little bit more and this base would have been in two pieces! The new fire ring does not work with my spider so I need to order a new three legged spider from ceramic grill store.
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,386

I'd contact dealer like cort said and also email mothership again maybe.  I have noticed that maybe 1 out 4 emails I send them never get responded to.  Don't know if its a spam filter or just lost email.

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,240

I'd contact dealer like cort said and also email mothership again maybe.  I have noticed that maybe 1 out 4 emails I send them never get responded to.  Don't know if its a spam filter or just lost email.
    Heard back from the mothership... just have to contact the dealer I want to use, show them the email and picture and I should be good to go. Bruce @BGE was a big help. On my list of to-dos for next week...
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,472
    Mines been cracked like that for almost two years.  I have my receipt, photo and everything ready for the warranty claim, I just need to go to the dealer.  I'm going to think about installing my Rutland's on the dome from now on.  There seems to be quite a few base failures being reported lately.

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,814
    I always call... That way they can hear me crying.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN