Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OMG my Egg has mold growing in it!

Ok, I bought an egg in March and had my sons assemble it for me.  I grilled in it once and haven't had time to use it since.....a crime I know, but I am single and all my kids packed up and moved to Phoenix and I have little/time or reason to cook anything.  My friends have a BGE and I know they have never had this happen.  It has been very rainy this Spring and I do not have a cover, but then again neither do my friends.  This is the grossest thing I have ever seen.  Any suggestions of how to clean my Egg and what to do to keep it from happening again?  I appreciate any direction you all can give to me!

Jolie

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited May 2013
    Load it with lump, open the vents, light it and let it go.  May want to take out the thermometer to save yourself from recalibrating it. To keep it from happening again, use it more often, or at least let it get hot at the end of a cook to burn off food particles.
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Yeah, load the fire box, open the top / bottom vents, actually I leave the the thermometer in, being that I go to 500F and let i coast for  while, and let er rip.  BGE recently changed the gasket to a hi temp one, dont know if you have the original felt, or the newer version.  The felt may be a little cooked after...
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Grillin_G_Ma
    Grillin_G_Ma Posts: 102
    I had the same problem when I opened my egg last week. I filled up the Egg with lump, lit it and took the temp up to 600 degrees for one hour. Then shut it down. The mold is gone. I just ordered the new stainless steel vent cap that I can leave open without the rain coming in. I also just got a much needed new egg cover that is vented. So I hope it won' t happen again. It was sickening.
  • Thanks for the input to all of you!  I have strings of mold hanging off of my grid and it really is the grossest thing I have ever seen (and I raised 3 kids!) :-).  I will fill it up and fire away.  Thanks again!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Mould is karma's way of punishing you for not using your egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker, you may be right about karma.  I put my egg on layaway for my birthday and by the time it was paid for and the weather was warm enough to put it together, my sons had decided they were heading west to find their fame and fortune (or just to escape the yucky winters we have here, I forget which!).  Anyway, I really do need to learn how to use it.  My friends have had one for a few years and I love what they make on theirs.  It is just so darn easy to go to their house and have dinner than to cook for myself!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Just invite friends over more and then you will have an excuse to use it more.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat