Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tri tip ?

Can someone give a quick an dirty setup for a 2lb tri tip. I have it marinated. Just need temp and raised or not.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
·

Comments

• SookieSookie Posts: 160

I'll be interested in the answers Phil.  My husband was raised in Cali, and apparently Tri tip is a big deal there.  He's now with me in MO, and pork steaks are the signature bbq food here.  Would be nice to make him a nice tri tip but I dont want to jack it up. 

·
  • RoundTownerRoundTowner Posts: 125
    Me..... 400-425?.... Turn when crisp....tAke off when crisp.... Should still be RED !!?
    ·
  • SookieSookie Posts: 160
    Pics too please if you can, that would be nice.  Would like to see what it's supposed to look like. 
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,383
    when i get one i sear both sides @500/600 dome then more it to the cool side of the grill to finish . i normally do them in my XL and divide the fire box in half with fire bricks 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,045
    Treat it like giant steak. Either Trex it or reverse sear.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    edited May 2013
    Tri tip is pretty flexible in how you cook it. Some go raised direct, some indirect, some sear at the start, some don't sear at all, and some sear at the end. Most folks cook them to med-rare or medium at most.

My favorite way to cook them is reverse sear. Here's a little tutorial on how I cook them: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143349/tri-tip-tutorial

Make sure you slice against the grain for the most tender slices. Tri tip is pretty flexible in how you cook it. Some go raised direct, some indirect, some sear at the start, some don't sear at all, and some sear at the end. Most folks cook them to med-rare or medium at most.

My favorite way to cook them is reverse sear. Here's a little tutorial on how I cook them: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143349/tri-tip-tutorial

Make sure you slice against the grain for the most tender slices. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 929
    Agree with @Chubbs and @R2Egg2Q reverse sear it like a steak, then cut against the grain. I cook it to the rare side of medium rare, then slice thinly. Especially great for sandwiches.

Have fun -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • bakoquebakoque Posts: 37
    Raised indirect at 400 until internal temperature is 135, then pull the plate setter and reverse sear for 5 minutes each side. Be sure to carve against the grain (it runs in 2 different directions). We like ours on the medium side of medium rare.
    IMAG0098.jpg 776.5K
    IMAG0103.jpg 471.8K
    IMAG0107.jpg 874.6K
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 929
    Hey @bakoque, are you from Bakersfield?
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • bakoquebakoque Posts: 37
    Yes sir, Black_Badger. Bakersfield, CA.
    ·
  • PhiliciousPhilicious Posts: 312
    On indirect at 400
    image.jpg 2.2M
    ·
    Donr
    ·
    Done
    ·
  • Egghead_DaronEgghead_Daron Posts: 786
    I'll be in Bakersfield in a few weeks. Dinner at you all's place?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,727
    Great job...looks like you nailed it!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·