Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Well played, VI, well played.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Amen to the people who keep it where we can enjoy our life with family and loved ones.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I was just going to post the same thing. Thanks VI.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I don't know what to say. That is the most touching picture I've seen in a long time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Every time I walk in DC I go to the Wall. It is the most incredible thing I have ever seen. After that I visit my grandfather in Arlington. Thanks for posting VI. Thanks for your service.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Thanks for posting VI.  Well done Sir
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Bump.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    caliking said:
    I don't know what to say. That is the most touching picture I've seen in a long time.

+1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Kennedys eternal flame is a profound experience as well. My grandfather's 21 gun salute still gives me chills thinking about it.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Very nice VI, I believe we BBQ to celebrate the lives of our fallen Comrades. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Amen.  God Bless them all and their families.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    i was at the Wall when it opened...I'll never forget the emotion there.
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    I thank the fallen, past, present,  and future everyday. Those men and women give thier lives everyday so that we as a country can live free. God bless them.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's gotta be tough...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I visited Arlington in 98. That's an experience I will never forget.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I would like to take this time to thank all of you who served to keep this great country free.

To the families who's loved ones made the ultimate sacrifice, I send my prayers.

God Bless America.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Powerful pic, VI. I hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day Weekend.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Tonight on the news there was a blurb on the soldiers selected for guard duty for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  I was familiar with most of the story; they are immaculate, go through the precision-choriographed ceremony regardless of weather, etc.  The news did not go into some other things those troops go through: the constant studying; memorizing; abstaining from alcohol for life; etc.  
    But, the thing I noticed tonight for the first time: one camera angle showed the cement pad that they march and change watch on; there were very distinctive black marks on the cement, perfectly spaced, right where they do their steps, their turns, their about-face's, etc.  Wow!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Amazing observation.  I was 16 when I saw the ceromony of the changing of the guard.  I would love to go do it again, it's amazing.  My uncle is buried in Arlington as well. 
  • Wow! Caught me totally off guard. That brings things into perspective. Thank you