Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ in San Antonio

Options
tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
Any suggestions for some good BBQ in the San Antonio area? Thanks in advance.
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• stratoboy
    stratoboy Posts: 4
    Options
    Worth a drive up to Dripping springs for Salt Lick.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    stratoboy said:
    Worth a drive up to Dripping springs for Salt Lick.

salt lick is actually in Driftwood (in between dripping and Austin). Great place. Not the best food, but the best place. it's BYOB so if you go, grab a 6-er or whatever you like to drink.Can't go wrong here. The granary is a newer place in SA that is getting very good reviews. haven't tried it but it's on the radar.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Where are you staying??

Besides my house, there are a few worth mentioning.   :P

Off of Nacodoches and 410, there is a trailer called The Smoke Shack.  It's legit!

I have also heard from a few that The Granary at the Pearl Brewery is pretty good.  I believe they only sell BBQ at lunch.  

Right outside of San Antonio in Cibilo, there is a very good spot called Harmon's BBQ.  Another spot outside the city in Atkins, is Texas Pride.

Until I found The Smoke Shack, I would drive to Harmons.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Thanks guys. Will keep you posted.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i think coopers in New Braunfels in under rated. They cook on gas but it's as good as that gets.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Damn it, now I want brisket!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

i think coopers in New Braunfels in under rated. They cook on gas but it's as good as that gets.

Do they make BBQ too? :D
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    Options
    Two Bros is good too. (It made the Texas monthly list). The Granary is my favorite though.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2013
    Options
    This is the second post in two weeks about outstanding food towns in their on right with BBQ not a prime example. San Antonio is Tex-Mex and Mexican (not the same thing), enjoy it for days!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options

If you've got wheels and want to check out something really cool go eat at The Gristmill in Gruene, TX. An hour or so before sundown would be ideal. It's relatively close to north SA and is the quintissential Texas Hill Country night out.

Ask for a table on the outside deck that overlooks the river. The chicken fried steak is very good. Stop by the old country store for some ice cream afterwards. Maybe pick us some preserves or a keepsake to mark the occasion. If the misses likes to dance be sure to visit the legendary Gruene Hall for some two-steppin. All located within a relaxed walking distance.

I could suggest that you look at pictures online, but that would spoil the surprise. This is my 5 star tip for out of towners.

Gittin' there...
  • alexwolf1216
    alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
    Options
    I live about a block from Rudy's (the original) towards Boerne. I dont eat there much, but I love Coopers in NB. Maybe its the free beans, I dont know, but I love it.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Check out a place called The Big Bib on Austin Highway between Walzem and Perrin Beitel. It's tiny, but very good. And Harmon's is always good.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Options
    My favorite is Texas Pride. It's on the outer loop on the east side of town.