Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Good One Lump Charcoal

Please save yourself the heart ache of using this stuff.
the place I usually buy my Lump was out of Wicked and told me that their new product(The Good One) was actually better.
Wrong! Nothing in the bag was bigger than the size of a briquette.

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    I have used that a lot. It is actually pretty good most of the time. I have had two bags that were awful as you mentioned. The best advice I got on here to make sure you get a good bag is to pick it up and shake it. If it sounds like it's raining, not good. I will say I am thrilled that my local butcher now carries Ozark Oak though so I may be about to switch away from The Good One.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • The only thing I can get here at a reasonable price is B&B oak lump. It is ok. $14 and some change for 20 pounds. I have access to oak wood so what I have been doing lately is building a fire and burning it down almost to coals, then covering it and cutting its air supply. Homemade lump. I have to sift the ash out of it and It is a messy process but I love the way it cooks. If you try it be ready for a messy, time consuming job. Beer helps if you drink enough.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I have used that a lot. It is actually pretty good most of the time. I have had two bags that were awful as you mentioned. The best advice I got on here to make sure you get a good bag is to pick it up and shake it. If it sounds like it's raining, not good. I will say I am thrilled that my local butcher now carries Ozark Oak though so I may be about to switch away from The Good One.
    +1 -  I call it the Plinko test but rain is good too. Hold the bag up and listen for the dust and small chunks to rattle their way to the bottom. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    ah hell, I was close.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Unless they changed manufacturers, you probably just got a bad bag.  Take it back to the retailer.

Are you in Missouri?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Local dealer had this $29.95 a 20lb bag. I passed and came here for review, guess its not worth a try especially at that price.
    Seattle, WA
  • I have a bag now and have been impressed so far.  My bag has nice big chunks. Lights quick, burns hot and is easy to control. I did a 16 hour brisket and had plenty of fuel left. Sounds like either you got a bad bag or I got a good bag. 
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    That is a big surprise to hear about The Good One charcoal. That is the only c harcoal I use during competition. I have never had any problems with it. I'm betting you got a bag that was mishandled. I have tried several others including RO and Wicked, but cleaner burn and longer lasting with The Good One. Give it another try.
  • "Nothing in the bag was bigger than a briquette" .........my Ozark bags are similar. Size (gulp) is not critical. Briquettes is a good size if that's average.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    My dealer just recently started stocking and was pretty high on it.  I haven't tried it yet.   It is awful hard to reach over a stack of OO for a bag of The Good One. I may try it if he runs out of the OO - I just can't believe how big the lumps are and how well it burns.
    Milton, GA.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited June 2013
    SkinnyV said:
    Local dealer had this $29.95 a 20lb bag. I passed and came here for review, guess its not worth a try especially at that price.
    Wow!  I buy it from our local bbq shop for $18.00 a 20lb bag.  I have had very good luck with it, but I do always turn the bag over and listen.  I'm guessing the OP just got a bad bag which happens with all brands from time to time.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    If the price is what is keeping you from trying it, think of it this way. I have had 2 top 5 in chicken, 4 top 5 in ribs, 3 top 10 in pork, and 2 top 10 in brisket, in the past year. I'll use The Good One any day!