Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Briksets, Yard Bird, Cobbler, Watermelon Tossing and other Musings by Centex

Bought 2 Meyer All Natural Briskets from whole foods today. They are awesome briskets (it's what Franklin uses) but dang they are proud of those bad boys. Oh well, feeding a crew and I don't want to serve garbage to the masses. Bought a bunch of yardbird to go in the brine later. TFJ is making blueberry cobbler and all is right with the world.

Tomorrow marks the first time the entire watermelon toss crew from the "crazy drunk brisket cook thread" have been together poolside since what we like to call at home "The Watermelon Incident". We have had bits and pieces but the stars have not aligned perfectly until they all show up around 2pm Central tomorrow. There is a chance one of them will mercifully bow out but it looks as if we are in for a rough afternoon. 

pics and commentary to follow................
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    sounds like fun may the egggods keep you safe from any stray watermelon seeds 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Bookmarking for revisit...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    :Subscribe:

As soon as I heard watermelon toss I was hooked!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Bought 2 Meyer All Natural Briskets from whole foods today. They are awesome briskets (it's what Franklin uses) but dang they are proud of those bad boys. Oh well, feeding a crew and I don't want to serve garbage to the masses. Bought a bunch of yardbird to go in the brine later. TFJ is making blueberry cobbler and all is right with the world.

Tomorrow marks the first time the entire watermelon toss crew from the "crazy drunk brisket cook thread" have been together poolside since what we like to call at home "The Watermelon Incident". We have had bits and pieces but the stars have not aligned perfectly until they all show up around 2pm Central tomorrow. There is a chance one of them will mercifully bow out but it looks as if we are in for a rough afternoon. 

I hope you are hungover for a week

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bought 2 Meyer All Natural Briskets from whole foods today. They are awesome briskets (it's what Franklin uses) but dang they are proud of those bad boys. Oh well, feeding a crew and I don't want to serve garbage to the masses. Bought a bunch of yardbird to go in the brine later. TFJ is making blueberry cobbler and all is right with the world.

I hope you are hungover for a week

If I could choose only a week, I would right now.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2013
    We just had a lovely dinner with @lakewade (aka "the instigator"). There was wine and witty banter. We are now all tucked safely away in our homes resting up. We'll call it the clam before the storm
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

We just had a lovely dinner with @lakewade (aka "the instigator"). There was wine and witty banter. We are now all tucked safely away in our homes resting up. We'll call it the clam before the storm

Please don't dream about Travis's Greeting Party!! :P

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I love clams when there is a storm. If you know what I mean nudge nudge wink wink

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sounds like another epic thread in the making. Hopefully the chickens will be used for nutritional purposes only.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Tucked safely? Clams?

Did @henapple drop off Ozark oak and bacon condoms?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited May 2013
    That's what I get for posting sober. Lesson learned. Well, we are off and running. Just put Brisket 1 on the egg. This thing was gorgeous but was the weirdest I've ever trimmed. The deckle went all the way through so the line of hard fat was on both sides of the brisket. First for me. Anyhow, once I got all that figured out it looked pretty good trimmed.

Going to use my Maverick tonight ( this is for company after all, and my son is spending the night out so I can't scream down "what's the temp now"???) so I get that all set up outside and I can't find my remote. Who the hell loses half a maverick?????
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited May 2013
    Here's a few pics for you guys that are in to that kind if thing:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This is what $150 worth of fancy brisket looks like:

This is the weird deckle that goes all the way through:

And here it is on the other side:

:-??

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'll send you mine.

Looks pretty good? Cen-Tex's brisket is sexy and it knows it.
  • hmmm...last pic is weird. We'll try again later. Must go search for maverick............
  • caliking said:
    Sounds like another epic thread in the making. Hopefully the chickens will be used for nutritional purposes only.
    TBD
  • I'll send you mine. Looks pretty good? Cen-Tex's brisket is sexy and it knows it.

well....never found the mav and the son is still spending the night out. Guess I'll have to go old school and fly blind tonight. Looks pretty good so far.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited May 2013
    great news- 4 inches of rain expected overnight. Probably better I don't have the maverick. I never get up anyway. I'll stay up till 1 then it is what it is. It can all be fixed tomorrow. Would be a good night to have the the new stainless vented egg cap. Hmmm- I have an hour before bed.Guess it's time to order.
  • cazzy
    This seems doable:

• cazzy
    Or this lol

• cazzy said:
    This seems doable: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I've never really had any issue with rain. I just let it power through.
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Good luck cooking through the storm. Nice looking handle btw.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    This is the thread I will point to when asked what exactly do I need a smart phone for... thank God I have a battery case for it so I can watch this while at my mom's later...
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Nothing more exciting than potential debauchery. Add in that the brisket wizard is making his own, and this is must see interwebs!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • didn't get a drop of rain and the sun is starting to peek out. Went to bed with dome at 250, woke up at 250. Not a single degree drop in 8 hrs. Brisket is at 158 and looking really good. Can't wait to try this one. For $6 per lb, it had better come with..........good flavor and tender meat :D
  • time to brine some yard bird........
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    I have been trying to hunt down some Meyers brisket ever since my first visit to Franklin's. Where did you buy them? Scratch that, I just saw you mentioned whole foods. Did you get them at the one in downtown Austin or did you go to another location?
  • Bee cave. They sell them downtown too. You have to ask. All their Briskets are in the back out here anyway. They are not for the faint of heart. $75 each. Ouch.
  • Here is the brisky all trimmed up and rubbed down.

• And here she is all stalled out at 158. Looking good.